Street/Track Tire - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Street/Track Tire

I am getting ready for my first track day in about a month and came across a question: I definitely need new tires before they will let me pass tech and I have had my eye on the new pilot powers as they are supposedly a good compromise between the street and the track. The front tire is no problems but unfortunately the only sizes currently available for the rear tire is a 190/50 where as I normally run a 180/55. Is this going to be a problem? If so is there another set of tires that would be good for my application? I know they sell tires at the track but do they sell race only tires?

BTW this is for an F4

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Dad

Very sticky yet reasonable life for a sticky tire. Pirelli Diablo or Diablo Corsa. Choose between them based on a self evaluation as to how hard you will realistically ride them. The Diablo's stick well but an extremely fast rider may overheat them on the track. That's when to spend the extra for Diablo Corsa. If it's your first track day, you will likely do fine with the Diablo and can save the extra $50 or so per set that the Diablo Corsa's will cost you. JMO

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 AM

Although the Pilot Powers look great, their availability is just starting to come around.

You'd be better off getting what is readily available in a 180/55.
Pilot H2, Pilot Sport, Pirelli Corsa, Supercorsa, are all good tires and are availible in multiple sizes/compounds.

If it's you're first trackday, it's unlikely that you will be pushing at a speed that will test your tires to the point that you'll need ultra-trick track tires.

I'd reccomend a good set of street tires as they will come up to temperature sooner and will likely be more forgiving if you start to push harder during the day.

Your suspension set-up will be more important than your tire choice as far as feeling comfortable at the track.

Good Luck, and ride within your limits.

"Take it to the track"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Great thanks for the feedback . From your experience do the vendors at the track have street tires available? Should I wait that long to get new tires? What I mean is, I think breaking in a new set of tires at the track would be good because of the safe environment, but I don't want to waste a session. Any thoughts?

Thanks
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by aweather
Great thanks for the feedback . From your experience do the vendors at the track have street tires available? Should I wait that long to get new tires? What I mean is, I think breaking in a new set of tires at the track would be good because of the safe environment, but I don't want to waste a session. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Thye probably do but it takes time away from your day and another thing to focus on other than riding. Especially for your first day, arrive prepared with all of the bike stuff ready so you don't have to do anything but focus on the riding. Have fun!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Great, that is kind of what I was leaning towards. Thanks again
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Very sticky yet reasonable life for a sticky tire. Pirelli Diablo or Diablo Corsa. Choose between them based on a self evaluation as to how hard you will realistically ride them. The Diablo's stick well but an extremely fast rider may overheat them on the track. That's when to spend the extra for Diablo Corsa. If it's your first track day, you will likely do fine with the Diablo and can save the extra $50 or so per set that the Diablo Corsa's will cost you. JMO
Yeah go with the Corsa's. I have been riding the diablo corsa's on the streets and tracks of Sicily for about 5 months now and they are like bubblegum. You will love em.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 AM

Stick with the 180. The only reason to go with a 190 on the track is if you can get the 55 profile. You get a bigger contact patch with the turn in of the 180. I think only Rennsports and Supercorsas come in the 190/55 though and they aren't good street tires.

The Diablo Corsas are great tires. Toward the end of a long hot track day, I've gotten them to be a little greasy but only when really getting on them. The really nice thing is that they seem to heat up immediately and unlike Michelins, they let you know when they are about to go off.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:27 AM

Bridgestone buddy. BT002 all the way. Been on about 5 different brands and fell in love with these. Diablos aren't bad though.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Track vedors for tires will really depend on which og your doin the track day with..some have Pirelli vendors, some have Dunlpos..ect, ect...

Best to check with the org to find out If there will be a vendoe there.or you can do like I do, and go to the races at WSMC...(willow springs) on every 3rd weekend, and get whatever kinda tires you want...

By the way, I have a track day this Sunday at the Streets with Track Daz...only downside is....it's gonna be HOT!!!!!

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode