Best first track bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Best first track bike?

I'm looking to get my first track bike in the next little while. I've ridden my 2001 r6 on the track a few times but I'm worried about crashing it.

Is a 600ss bike okay to get as a first dedicated track bike?

The other bike I would really like to get is a 125gp bike. The people I've been talking to say that there isn't a better bike to start on. The 125 is susposed to handle well, teach you really good corner speed and make you an overall better rider. Apparently they arn't all that expensive either, a lot less than a 600ss bike becasue of tires. The piston needs to be replaced every 500 kms or so but thats easy. The crank needs to be redone every 2500 kms and that's a bit more but I doubt I'd but on 2500 kms in my first two years even. The only thing that worries me is that I would get bored of the power especially considering the track I'll be racing at has a straight that is close to a 2 kms and the 125 would get absolutely murdered there.

What do you guys think I should do?

My father once told me that checking the ripeness of the melons was very important. He said that they must be firm, yet soft to the touch. . . Man was he right! Thanks Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:22 PM

Annd..don't forget about the hassles of jetting them 2 smokers..

125's are great, if your not a big rider.....personally, I'd love to have a TZ250, or an Aprilla 250...

If ya like the 125's...go for it...just get use to passing them 600's on the outside going in the turns...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 AM

The best first track bike is the one you don't mind crashing. That way you work on riding, not sweating the scratches that may come in a crash! Something like the 2 strokes that come with race plastic is good since they handle crashes much better than factory street plastics.

IMHO I'd get a 2-5 year old 600 that's running well and already track prepped (ex-racer or track day bike). Should run 2-3 grand and need almost zero maintanence compared to a 2 stroke. The 2 strokes would be great too if you don't mind working on them a bit and like Hammer said, get some extra jet needles, I hear they're a little picky with weather and altitude changes.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode