bike prep questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

bike prep questions

So I was looking at a website about trackdays and it said they recommend taping up the speedo. I know this may be a dumb question but why? I can get the mirrors and lights but not sure I get the speedometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Dad

Anything that takes your focus off the track and surroundings is a bad thing. That's one of those things that is hard to make sense of until you've done it. You will have many concerns going in that will prove to be no issue, and other things that never entered your mind that will prove to be an area of concentration. While that may sound ominous as an answer, causing you to re-think any involvement at all, don't worry about it. It's also true that most riders finish their first track day/school with a sense of how fun and calm it is out there with their initial concerns of it being a fearful experience completely alleviated. They have fun! Starting from any level, you'll go faster than you ever have and yet feel safer than you ever have on the street. It's really a good time with most of the fears purged after the first few laps. You'll wonder why you waited so long to do it.

BTW, you'll gauge your speed more with gear selection and RPM.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 02:29 PM

I agree with Dad...you really don't need to look at your speedo anywho...I'm guessing your doing a track day with Trackdaz..?

Even w/o tapeing it up..I never look at my speedo...as Dad said, there are Far more Important things to do/ work on..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZRDude
Plus it is one less piece of glass that can get broken if you happen to go down.

Dude
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:20 PM

Speedometer is useless on a racebike. Things happening too fast to look at guages any more than necessary. What you need to have is just tachometer and temperature guage if not an air cooled motor.

Disconnect the cable for the speedo and remove cable, use black electrical tape to tape the speedo lens and also tape over the tachometer below your lowest shift point rpm (such as 3000) as well as any other unread portion of the dial so you are left with a pie shaped area where you read the applicable rpm for racing.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
Speedometer is useless on a racebike. Things happening too fast to look at guages any more than necessary. What you need to have is just tachometer and temperature guage if not an air cooled motor.

Disconnect the cable for the speedo and remove cable, use black electrical tape to tape the speedo lens and also tape over the tachometer below your lowest shift point rpm (such as 3000) as well as any other unread portion of the dial so you are left with a pie shaped area where you read the applicable rpm for racing.

Not to be a know it all, but I think he was just asking about "Track days" and not Racing...

And yup, you could do all that stuff, but honestly, it's not needed...just tape the speedo over..leave the tach be...I do look at my tach on the straights, even the short ones...as I've bounced off the rev limiter more than once....when I didn't look at the tach...

Sorry fuster, I think what you've suggested is sorta overkill....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 AM

Thought he was getting into racing. Not overkill if bike is for race only, unless you are really physically a bumblesnoot with tape. Hammer, if you are physically handicapped then please accept my apology for the sarcasm.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:40 PM

Re: bike prep questions

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblue
So I was looking at a website about trackdays and it said they recommend taping up the speedo.
Here ya go fuster....

If he had mentioned racing, I woulda never commented, aas you would have been right...

Me....handicapped..??? Nope, on the contray..I'm as fit as a fiddle..and then some..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: bike prep questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Me....handicapped..??? Nope, on the contray..I'm as fit as a fiddle..and then some..
Handicapped persons do ride motorcycles. No need to get testy over the suggestion.

Fuster

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: bike prep questions

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
Handicapped persons do ride motorcycles. No need to get testy over the suggestion.
I didn't get Testy about it, in case ya didn't notice, I made that comment in a Joking manner...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode