Steps to begin track racing? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Question Steps to begin track racing?

Well, after reading a multitude of threads that suggest you really don't know your bike until you've raced it legally, I am damn intrigued about getting started in racing...

1) Who do I contact?
2) How much are we talking here for my first year (from schools to gear to tires/parts) - ball park?
3) Can I still race my bike even if I am financing it (I hold the title)?
4) What type of gear is required to race (can I just wear my leath. jacket, jeans, gloves, helmet, and riding shoes?)

Thanks for the info...

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
don't race your 919!!! not enough classes for it. open-class bikes are just too limited in the classes they can run. i would say the same thing about any open classer.

however, you can do track days and learn a lot.

team promotion (www.teampromotion.com) and nesba (www.nesba.com) are both near you. both are similar in what they do. the major difference (to me) is the way they start you off and i think it's a probably a good place for you to figure out where you'll fit better.

team promotion start you off with a required school. if gs500rider or cbrbob picks up on this, they'll let you in on this a bit more.

but basically they describe the basic rules of riding on a race track. how to approach corners. i believe hydration is mentioned. the basics. the things people forget from time to time. because of this, their first day actually costs a little bit more.

with nesba you can start with a free day of two sessions where you ride around at 30 mph. personally, i wouldn't waste my time to head to a race track to do it (and i'm only 30-40 minutes from pocono). but a lot of people love it. so, maybe i'm nuts to not want to get up at 5am to trailer my bike to the track for 25 minutes or so of riding time.

as for costs:

you should have a good helmet already

you'll need a back protector:$65-$145 (fastlap to bohn) i don't think they are required, but YOU NEED ONE!!!

you'll need gloves (don't skimp). kangaroo hide is more valuable to me than carbon knuckles (imo)

leathers--two pieces are fine. agv sells a lot of inexpensive suits (check newenough and 1888fastlap.com for cheap prices on close-out suits)

boots--lots of choices. i bought two pairs of used boots. sounds kinda disgusting, but i paid $175 total for a pair of alpinestars 511 (the boot of the time, $50) and daytona winners (near new, $125).

tires--you make it a whole season on one set, maybe two. seriously. especially if you take them off after each trackday.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: Steps to begin track racing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda919Rider

1) Who do I contact?
2) How much are we talking here for my first year (from schools to gear to tires/parts) - ball park?
3) Can I still race my bike even if I am financing it (I hold the title)?
4) What type of gear is required to race (can I just wear my leath. jacket, jeans, gloves, helmet, and riding shoes?)

Thanks for the info...
since i didn't answer your question...

contact www.ccsracing.com or www.wera.com about racing, see earlier post about track days (add reduc.com to that list as well).

it can vary greatly. seriously a solid answer is too hard... and by hard, i mean it's hard to admit that i've pissed away that much money.

yes, just understand that racing isn't covered by your insurance. track days can be. so if you total the bike racing, you may find that you have lein against an expensive paper weight.

full leathers are required. they can zip together if two piece. gloves are required and must be a guantlet (sp?) style. i'd suggest a fastener at the wrist. shoes, must be over the ankle boots and you shouldn't have anything in the leg area not covered. you can get away with army boots. just remember ankle protection is always important.

helmets must be snell 95-2000, dot, suomy, etc.

if you want to race at loudon, you'll have to use a different bike, lrrs doesn't allow amateurs on open-class bikes. their page is www.lrrsracing.com if you're interested.

i hope i got it right this time.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 09:41 PM

Tony gave you some great advice. I'd start out with some track days, see if you really want to race or not. Track days can be done on your street bike with a little changes, tape up lights and mirrors and your good to go. I favor Team Pro-Motion, but that's just me, for track days. Team Pro-Promotion offer everything you need to go racing, licensing to advanced rider training.
I'd spend as little as I could on modifcations to your bike and get lots of track time for the first year. Nothing beats seat time. When your laps times stop decreasing then look at bike modifcations. Start with suspension first then engine, can't go fast unless you get traction first...

For details on Team Pro-Motion see www.teampromotion.com or email me at [email protected] I'll be glad to answer any of questions.

Geo...

http://users.rcn.com/gsxrrider
Team Pro-Motion Safety Director/Coach #23
visit www.teampromotion.com

Last edited by lateapex; 01-30-2003 at 02:53 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 11:59 PM

don't race your 919!!! not enough classes for it. open-class bikes are just too limited in the classes they can run. i would say the same thing about any open classer.

While I agree with your post, realise that maybe this is the only bike he has to race. I say "Hell yes" go ahead and race your bike, although you'll wish that you started racing on something like a 250 2-stroke (so that you learn to carry corner speed)

But, it doesn't sound like he is chasing a championship, so let him race what he has. Besides, "not enough classes" is proably really good for a guy that is new to the track. When I first started racing bikes...(I came from the car racing world)...I remember how sore my legs were... (In car racing, your ARMS get tired)... Anyway, after 2 or 3 club races, I was worn out!!

I say if all you got is the 919, get your license and start racing. It's the most fun you'll have in your entire life...(aside from big-wave surfing in Austrailia)...and you'll meet all kinds of cool people. I'll be racing my R-1 this year in some CCS races and I'll look foreward to seeing you at the track! Look for me...(the fat guy BBQing in the pits!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider

Guys, thanks for all that information. I am going to thoroughly search the links for the details. And yes, the 919 is all I've got to ride (not necessarily a bad thing).

The track days seem like an ideal way to get a better understanding of my bike, as well as develop my riding skills. It's interesting because on the street, and especially in turns, I'm more focused on looking for/avoiding objects (sand, dead animals)than on handling the bike.

Same thing goes for powerful acceleration and rowing up through the gears. I'd rather focus on what's ahead rather than guessing where a cop may be speed trapping on the side of the road.

Anyway, thanks again...

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by gs500rider
Tony gave you some great advice. I'd strat out with some track days, see if you really want to race or not. Track days can be done on your street bike with a little changes, tape up lights and mirrors and your good to go. I favor Team Pro-Motion, but that's just me, for track days. Team Pro-Promotion offer everything you need to go racing, licensing to advanced rider training.
I'd spend as little as I could on modifcations to your bike and get lots of track time for the first year. Nothing beats seat time. When your laps times stop decreasing then look at bike modifcations. Start with suspension first then engine, can't go fast unless you get traction first...
I can agree with this 100%. To start, only spend money on gear, track time, and tires. That will be enough anyway. After you've had that experience, the rest will be easy and the decisions will be made from your own experience. TPM does some really nice beginner training that is adequate for starting on the track plus their approach is one of having fun. If you haven't already done it, get the Keith Code books to get you started in the right direction and help you become familiar with some of the terminology you'll be hearing. There are a lot of opinions on those books but if you're starting from scratch, they will help. If you're really going this alone with no experienced people to help, you may want to just visit a day when they're running and hang out, talk to some people, get gear advice, etc. That's one thing about TPM, they're very approachable. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Dad

Another thing you may want to consider. After posting, this occurred to me. Corner working at a track day. TPM pays $75.00 cash or $100.00 credit to track time or other of their services. You'll get a front row seat to the goin's on and get a real good feel for how it's done. Get some experience and get paid to boot.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 05:35 PM

Talking

Some ideas for mods to the 919...http://www.mcnews.com.au/Riders/Stev...002_Hornet.htm

I think the gay waiter wants to push my stool in!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 AM

Similar Boat

Hey Dan.

I am in a very similar boat. I am looking into getting into track days myself. (not too interested in racing, just learning to be a better rider).

Also, I live in Jersey (Somerset), and I went to a shop(in NJ) that helped me out A LOT with a bunch of great advice and good information on starting track days. The shop deals with mainly people who race and do track days(Not a motorcycle dealership), they do suspension work and even have a dyno. Also they have all the protective gear you might need for a track day(Race boots, gloves, suits etc... great prices also).

Now I have NO Affiliation with the shop what so ever, I am just a newbie that got a lot of great help from the shop owner. The name of the place is Washington Cycle Works in Washington NJ. http://www.washingtoncycleworks.com

I think I am going to go the NESBA route and do my first day in April at Pocono.

Let me know what way you decide to go and maybe we can meet up at the track. Or if you just want to chat about what the hell we are getting ourselves into

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode