1st race bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

1st race bike???

SV650 or RS250????????????

Ease of maint, fun factor, enough classes to run in (RS concern)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 01:26 AM

SV!!!!

Get the SV!!!!

You'll be much happier. 2-Strokes require a TON of maintainence. Get the SV, I beg you!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

sounds like you've tried to tune a 2-stroke b-4

That bad???????????????????????????????

I'm looking for a bike with enough performance to grow into but not so much as to stunt growth due to fear???????

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 02:59 AM

I raced an Aprilia 250 for awhile, and lost. (to Aaron Clark, of course) And let me tell you, an SV would be a much better choice for your first season. You'll have enough to worry about without having to replace your top end/ reeds, etc.

SVs offer a TON of performance. They are one of my favorite bikes to ride on the track. If you think you've outgrown it, build the motor. You'll be amazed how well those bikes handle, and how much power those little motors can produce! Trust me. They are a joy on the track!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:24 PM

The Aprilias are no longer being made, and are not very competitive in any class I've see. SV's are all over, have huge aftermarket support and are dominant in several race classes.
If you're going to race, get an SV or if you want a 2 stroke get a '95+ RS 125. If you're just doing track days, get a 600.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tristan, I've been drooling over the classifieds at ww.svrider.com for the last day or two and the wife is already expecting me to start racing next year so it's looking good.

A lot of the sv racers are pretty heavily modded, should I get one like that or a stock-er one. Do you get bumped out of many classes with mods or are the classes an sv runs pretty much run what ya brung?? I'd like to get one already set up rather than build my first bike, seems like it would be cheaper??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 03:20 PM

A pre-prepped racer is a good way to go, but almost all the ones I've seen are too expensive and still sell fast. I bet closer to the beginning of next season the prices will drop a lot. I'd stay away from one with motor mods beyond pipe+jetting, as A:you will NOT be any faster with more motor the first year and B:modded SV's are a lot more prone to grenading. Either way, you will be able to be competitve in 2 classes with AHRMA and 3 with WERA. Next year I plan on racing both, focusing more on closer races than trying to chase a championship. Once WERA comes out with their schedule, find an event that has a WERA race school. Take the school for $60 then race on Sunday in D Superbike, LW Twins, and Formula 2. If your SV is built, substitute HW Twins for D Super. Then for your next race weekend, also run the Solo 20 race on sat. This is a great way to practice during race conditions. Once you get a bike, email me with any specific setup ?'s.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again and I'd be more than happy to sponge up your SV knowledge when the time comes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i just wanted to add that the sv has the advantage of being a parts-bin bike. so gsx-r front-ends bolt on. i recently saw an sv that was a great idea as far a easy to build and cheap.

guy bought an sv removed the street stuff. throw on a pipe and jetting. bought a front-end off a wrecked gsxr750 racebike (so it had springs and valves), swingarm off another 750 and a set of used marvic wheels, throw in a penske and clip-ons and he had a nice bike, light and fast.

the rs250 would be a great bike for track days though.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode