Track day /school at North Florida Motorsport Park - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Track day /school at North Florida Motorsport Park

Finally going to get on the track! but the initial set up will cost me some $$$$. Leather pants, pit bull stand,new set of tires plus 200$ for school and track fees. school is required cause I have no track experience. I will put on my old tank and plastics in case I crash.. again!!where can I get the safety wire and water wetter for radiator? and do they make predrilled oil plugs. looks like I opened a can of worms.I am excited .. I am sure they have a orange novice vest with my name on it!! let me see if I can put up the linkhttp://northfloridamotorsportspark.com

Last edited by blackkaw; 10-28-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 04:41 PM

Kewl! Most track day org's do NOT require any safety wiring. If this one does, LP has it, also any local industrial supply place. Harbor freight has it (and everything else!). The only bike prep usually needed is replacement of antifreeze with straight water and fresh tires. Water wetter is available pretty widely, but I wouldn't bother if you're going to put antifreeze back in it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:58 AM

You could try

http://www.mariettamotorsports.com/

for most of it.

If you get the wire, get the pliers too.... and the little pack of 3 or 4 drill bits.

Check with the school to see what is actually required. As Tristan said, it probably is not as much as you think. Track days and schools don't require near as much as racing organizations.

Track days are meant to let people bring their street bike, and then go back to the street pretty easy when it is over. Tape the glass, remove the mirrors and maybe the kick/center stands... that kind of stuff.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:53 AM

North Fla. does not require safety wiring for classes and track days. Tape up lights and turn signals, remove mirrors, license plate. Also should remove fuses for headlight and brake light. This is a really good track for learning on; no superlong straigts, and plenty of turns. Nothing but sand if you run off the track.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Old dude
This is a really good track for learning on; no superlong straigts, and plenty of turns. Nothing but sand if you run off the track.
I'd call "turns" 2-5 a really long straight! Once you realize that, you can relax and concentrate on the second half of the track which is fairly challenging.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

what should I do ? I traded my zx9 in for a new 02 750 purchased from Powersports at Clearwater. Powersports is renting the NFMP track for next weekend and they asked me to come along. The cost is only 100$ and I know some of the guys that will be there.Ihave NO track experience. I also heard that If I take the Viking track school.. on a different weekend.. there will be other guys (racers) practicing on the track at the same time as me.Just the thought of that scares me!!my bike will Barely be broken in by next weekend and I dont want to push it and crash a brand new bike.Actuaully I am worried I will go to slow and will be pissing people off.Maybe this is not a good idea. Are these fears normal ..or do I just need to grow some bigger balls?

Last edited by blackkaw; 11-16-2002 at 07:05 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:37 PM

Youll be fine. I was gonna say you should feel comfortable on riding on the track if youre a regular twisty rider (minus the deer, gravel, etc) but I saw you were from FL . Regardless, youll be fine. Just remember to take it easy. Taking the Viking school is a good idea but I think youll still do ok without it. As long as a more experienced rider can show you the lines and give you some pointers.

My first time on the track was at NFMP and I went there with no track experience, although I have a lot of mileage in the twisties. I also earned my racing license at the same track and its just an awesome track to run.

As far as being on the same track with racers and other more experienced riders, I think its just hearsay. Never have I encountered an open practice run in the SAME SESSION as a school. Schools always run a separate session. NFMP usually runs advanced/racer, intermediate and novice/school. Even with an open track day, they run the school in a diff. session.

Just remember that there is NO need to push it during your first time at the track. Well, the first few sessions anyway. If you feel you can give it more juice later on in the day, go for it!

Oh if it's any consolation, Im a chick. If I can do it, you can too I know gender doesnt really dictate riding skills but if it makes you feel better, then take that info for whatever it's worth. Just have fun
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:07 AM

Do it. $100 is a good price. You will have to tape up plastic etc. Better yet, just go in and remove the headlight, blinkers, etc. Don't worry about being in the way. Ususally the groups are broken up by speed/exp. Remember to hold your lines through turns and don't swing all the way to the outside curbing out of a turn. THat will leave a little room just in case someone is coming around. You have the proper safety gear? Try to make sure you have enough miles on your bike and swap out the motor oil prior to going if you can.
Don't worry, Julian runs a good track day.
What day is it and is it open to everyone?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Funksouljon, it is this weekend...Sat. and Sun. but they may have given Powersports a group discount..just guessing.. call the track if you need info. after giving it much thought I am gonna pass on this weekend cause I only have 520 mi. on bike and have not even had it up to 8000rpm(break in).I want to attend a trackschool there and will do so next mo. that will give me a little more saddle time on the new machine, and come at a better time when $$$ wont be so tight!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:38 PM

Actually, the track days for this weekend (23rd/24th) are NFMP track days and not a Powersports-rented event. A lot of us georgiasportbike.com folks will be there this weekend. As far as the cost, Julian recently increased the fees to $125 which covers the gate & electricity fee. Perhaps Powersports was given a discount, who knows. But for the general public, $125 is it.

Oh and as far as removing headlights and blinkers, as suggested above, I really wouldnt recommend it unless your bike is a track-only bike. Its a pain in the ass to put it all back on for the street. What I recommend is pulling your headlight/blinker fuses besides taping it up.

Last edited by AznSportbiker73; 11-18-2002 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode