Track Riding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Track Riding

Given that most sportsbikes should be ridden on the track (and will therefore end up in the gravel at some point) there must me some concern that the current obsession with weight reduction compromises crash resistance - my 929 'blade has been dumped twice on the track and came of reasonably well both times. I am not sure that this level of durability is found on other makes and models??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
are you referring to broken r6/r1 frames or the gsxr trans and valves?

i really wish they add a few pounds and several thousand miles.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

funny you should mention it but a friend's gixxer '01 750 gearbox went on the same track day - and the bike only had done 5,000 miles!

...not heard that R1/6 frames bend easily though - will bear that in mind.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 04:52 PM

I've heard from a couple racers that the new gen. gixxers have much flimsier frame than the SRADS do..and we won't even talk about CCT's..... I've crashed my 99 750 5 times, 3 lowsides, 2 highsides..and the frame/sub frame held up good..too bad plastic's aren't as strong...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

That's what i heard - they even look flimsier. Was thinking of trading down to a 600 - anyone recommend a good track bike that will survive the odd spill?

Hammer - forgive my ignorance but what the f*ck are CCTs?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:12 PM

Well eeeerm!

Could be Carbon Composite Tanks.

Hows the blade?????

Cheers
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:58 AM

Well, the 'Blade 919 seemed tough enough. Witnessed one low-siding into the gravel trap on, but still looked remarkably in 1 piece.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 01:05 AM

Honda has always been willing to go just a couple pounds over on weight to have bulletproof components. The additional fraction of a second you save for those extra pounds only applies if you're racing, at which time you've already done forged magnesium wheels, carbon/kevlar bodywork, etc.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't agree more Todd - as you say if you are racing you will find ways to save the weight (and so probably will the rider), however if the bike is fundamentally not able to withstand a routine spill (frame damage etc) then it could be an expensive (or short season). I am a great fan of lightweight sportsbikes but don't see why durability should necessarily suffer given the technological advances that have been made to materials in recent years. I am sure different manufacturers take different viewpoints on this - they are all businesses at the end of the day and if a bike looks good, sells well then needs a severe rebuild the moment it kisses the tarmac that has to be good for top line revenues. I suppose it boils down to whether a manufacturer builds a bike with the rider or its shareholders in mind - reassuring what you say about Honda given it is such a large corporation.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 11:32 PM

I'd always knew Honda models of the later genre were kinda tough. I had spills from the NC35 to the 98 Blade. Damages were rather minimal as compared to the rest of the makes. Don't know about the newer models, though...Y2K and beyond. I once completely totalled a 2-month old Y2K Blackbird cos of a cracked frame when I sorta like bumped off a tyre wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode