Race report for AHRMA Talladega Sept. 27-29 2002 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Race report for AHRMA Talladega Sept. 27-29 2002

The series points leader shoots me a steely glare from the front row, surely confident in his superiority. I give no response, just continue to stare ahead towards turn one. The "1" board is displayed, then quickly turned sideways. I rev the engine near redline and lay on the gas tank to try and contain the monstrous power awaiting release. The starter yanks away the board and the green flag flies! The entire front row blasts away while I struggle with simultaneuous wheelspin and wheelie. Once under control, I point my missle toward my enemies. By turn 3 I dispose of two of them, only the class champion remains. Approaching the final turn on lap one, my prey is within reach! Rather than trade blows for the remaining laps I tuck into his draft and follow him down the straightaway, plotting a last lap pass. As we near turn one again, his machine has a mechanical hiccup. I swing out of the draft to avoid bisecting him with my front wheel, and light the fuse to ensure he won't repass me. By the final lap I was over a half lap ahead of the field- VICTORY IS MINE!!! ...and that was just the freaking Derbi 75cc class!
On to more pressing matters, young Derek Keyes showed up and handed us a beating in Twins F3 and F2. I was a bit miffed that I couldn't catch him, but later was consoled to learn that he was packing 15-20% more power via flatside carbs and who knows what other mods (he wasn't talking). Good old Jan Svensson was kind enough to keep things interesting in all four races; I thought we were both going to catch the kid in the final race, but we ran into traffic and he slipped away. Four 2nd place finishes for me.
Quite surprisingly, Matt Winnacker did not show up to defend his #1 plate, leaving the door wide open for me. More surprisingly, I managed not to screw things up by crashing. So, while the championship(s) are not quite in the bag things are looking pretty rosy for me. Next (and final) stop is North Florida next month. Mr Keyes lives 1.5 hours from there, but Winnacker has never been there. Let's rumble!

P.S. If you visit the go-cart track in Aniston, AL, they really do mean "no bumping". I'm going to require a good disguise if we go back next year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Zero to sixty? YES

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Nice try, Jan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 06:05 PM

So ya want some replies huh...? Well here ya go...I really enjoyed it... The pic's are great, the text was great...there, feel better now.. By the way...Tristan, you have any pic's of your bike sitting still, if you could post 1 from each side, and 1 from the front...I'd appreciate it..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

Last edited by Hammer 4; 10-04-2002 at 06:08 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hammer, I feel much better now!
I've redone a lot of bits on the bike and don't have any good pics; I'll snap a few before I wad it up again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Lost the right side pic somehow- The M4 can's rivets were coming loose, so I replaced it with a V&H can I powdercoated black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode