Tires for Track day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Tires for Track day

I ride a TL 1000 R, and will be taking it to the track for the first time. I don't want to shred my 'daily commuting" tires (BT 010's), so I'm looking for suggestions for track day tires. Nothing to extreme or expensive. I was going to get Michelin H2's, but they only make 180/55-17 rears (the TLR runs 190/50-17's). Is it worth switching? How about Metzeler Rennsports? Or BT012's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:45 PM

Use the 180. No one uses 190 on the track, they limit the amount of lean angle available. The bike will turn in WAY faster, and be more stable when leaned over. You'll probably want to get rid of that 190 street tire after that too. I don't know why they even make 190's.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:58 PM

Get the Rennsports. They are AWESOME, even in street compound. Hands down the best tires I've ever used.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 03:23 PM

well, as far as which tire goes, I've run the DOT race Metzler rennsports, and the Pirelli dragon super corsica. Both are fantastic tires, but I like the pirelli's a little bit better. They both have the same feel, but the Pirelli's have held up a little longer. Both handle so neutral that you forget you have tires. It lets you focus on your riding a bit more. One thing I really like about the Pirelli's is, when your pushing them hard, and they are about to run out of traction, they give you a very small, very smooth very controlled slide. Kinda like they are talking to you, and saying ah, ah, ah, no more, your about to run out!!! I've never had the Pirelli's really come loose. They slide so predictably.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 03:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
how fast are you?

if you think you're gonna go out at set the world on fire, i would get the michelin pilots. they just seem like the hot tire this week. personally, i like the pirelli/metzler stuff (same tires, different thread patterns). d208's are nice tires, but you really need a race license to get a good price on them.

if you think you're gonna go out, ride around, and not be the "winner" of the track day (those who do track days know what i mean), you can use any street tire that fits. my preference is a dunlop d207zr. they're cheap and they stick.

you can use take-off's, but i wouldn't on your first weekend.

and 190's do suck. use a 180 and you'll see what we mean. there's a reason the gsxr750 has a 180 now. the gsxr1000 has a 190 because it's a cooler looking tire.

i do recommend new tires either way.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:42 AM

this may help you out:

http://www.tl1000.com/pb_tires/sport_rider_sep_2001.htm

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:48 AM

I gotta say I love the dunlop 207's. Just got a new set with a 208 up front, 207 rear and can honestly say bthey are the best tires I have ever had on. But, when i was street riding and running a bit slower at the track i loved the Metzler sportec M1's. If i had a street bike and was taking it to the track those are what i would put on. track only the 207s
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM

Another Rennsport/Supercorsa fan...most track day junkies I know use em.. Oh..and yeah, get the 180 rear...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 02:45 PM

Well im a DUNLOP kinda guy so im gonna say go wiht the new d207 RR (race replica) they are the same 207 GP compound on a street carcase for better feel.I have about 3000 miles on mine and 2 track Days at MID-OHIO and they are holding up great!! They are holding up much more than the race Pilot H2's and i like the feel alot more as well.

Im using these RR's on a R6 and the H2's on a bixxer 1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode