Racing in the wet, help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Racing in the wet, help

To the experienced club racers in the forum, I need your help and advice. Apart from buying rain tires (not allowed in the novice class where I'm from), what riding techniques do you use to optimize traction when it's raining.

I find myself sliding my rear tire often and it scares the bejeezus out of me, I've slid my front tire and crashed once before, seemed like I was probably going to fast.

Does it help by trying to keep the bike as straight as possible in a turn while countering the weight by shifting my weight off of the bike? I'm really clueless when it comes to riding in the rain. Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I use Rennsports semi-slicks which are sooooo unbelievably slippery in the wet.

Last edited by RichieLaz; 09-10-2002 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 03:57 PM

Im sorry that your local club doesn't allow rain tires. WTF is with that, anyway? If you ablolutely MUST race in the rain w/o rain tires, just make sure you apply power slowly, and brake early. That's really all I can say. Take a rain race as an opportunity to learn how your bike handles in a slide. It's kind-of like racing on dirt. If you learn to drift your bike really well in the wet, and apply it to drifting it in the dry, you CAN use it to your advantage.

For example: The first time someone 2-wheel drifted past me in a turn, (Eric Haugo, AMA Formula Extreme # 9) I was totally freaked out. I assumed that he was insane (because he was TOTALLY crossed up) I did not want to go near him for the rest of the race. So, lesson learned, a big fat 2-wheel slide can be very intimidating for the competition. I'm sorry that this is the only advice I can offer. You should really petition your local organization to allow rain tires. I really think it's rediculous that they dont!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, sounds like great advice to me, thanks!

So, I take it you're saying I should practice sliding the bike?

The reasoning behind them (at least that's what they told me) in not allowing rain tires in the superstock novice class is to equal the playing field in terms of costs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:46 PM

Lightbulb

Try the RENNSPORT RS1 DOT tires. This is the super soft compound. I AGREE WITH SPHRECK.................WTF!

In addition to the early braking..........Try rolling off the throttle a bit while braking and hold through the apex. Try not to chop through the corner! Once the machine has straightened out, then EASILY roll-on the throttle. We race YSR 50's in the rain! THE PRINCIPLES ARE IDENTICAL........Just pint-sized.

Hope This Helps........

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:50 PM

Lightbulb

BTW..........Start riding in the dirt. NOT to be Jeremy Mc Grath but to learn to ride from steering lock to lock. This will help you with the "sliding-out" that occurs!

Cross-training baby!

Johnny
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the advice.

I've been trying for a week to borrow my mate's dirt bike. When I told him what I wanted to do with it. He gave me the finger and told me to buy my own dirt bike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:47 AM

schpreck - two wheel drifting sounds like a blast (as well as a great riding technique to know) - any tips on how to learn this without binning my bike every 5 minutes??
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:21 AM

Exclamation

RichieLaz.........

Your mate maybe misunderstund! Your use would be to effictively "slide" the machine sideways through turns and do lock-to-lock "fishtails" to get the input necessary for your end result. NOT TO BE A JUMPER OR MX SUPERSTAR!

Get 'em straight Aye!

Johnny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:57 PM

My 2cents......

- Rennsports and rain just don't go no matter how good you are, the lack of side wall cuts cause aquaplaning There are plenty of others that work well.

- How to slide, as already mentioned a dirt bike is the go. The rear is fairly straight forward just get on a short circuit (small oval) and hang it out. A good exercise for the front is to lock the front wheel and ride around pushing it with the rear..... takes a little getting used but helps give confidence without risking your expensive pride and joy.

- Another tip is to keep the bike upright as much as possible in the wet, hang off sure but keep the bike as up and down as possible (knee down in the wet is no big deal once you get a good tire and wet confidence).

We ride Phillip Island all the time and it's always wet the first couple of hours of each day.....

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode