requirements for the track - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

requirements for the track

im thinking of starting to go to a track but im sure i need to do stuff to my bike before theyll let me ride. like that thingie to catch the oil and such. what are some of the basic things i need to do and will it cost me much money?

also, what kind of gear do most tracks require? i have gloves and jacket. do i need a certain kind of jacket? anything to help me through the first day at the track will help. do people race each other or just get out there and ride fast?
im thinking of going and just watching one day to kinda see how it all works.
thanks
dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 PM

Thumbs up Good Thread

I would like to know this stuff too. I often thought about taking the money I would pay in insurance and licensing, to put it to use at a track. Not sure if Heartland Park in Topeka has a track day for bikes, though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:53 PM

Its Simple

Usually all you need is alot of tape. You will probably will be riding in the beginner class so all you got to do is tape up anything that is made of glass or plastic, such as your mirrors, headlights, blinkers. Second you will need to remove your fuse for your headlight so it does not melt the tape. The gear you will need is a helmet, gloves, riding jacket with padding, riding pants with padding and boots that cover your ankles. You might want to rent a trailer ($15-$25) to haul your bike just in case you lay it down and the bike is not rideable or you might just be to exhausted to ride home. The track days run from $99 to $200 depending on who is doing the event. Do not go & watch because you will wish that you were riding with everybody on the track. It is not a race you just try to go as fast as you and the bike are capable of. It is better than any canyon run you have ever done.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:57 PM

You really need to check with the organization putting the track day on. Some are more strict than others, rpm raceclub puts on track days and races here in LA. and requires the bike not have mirrors, taped up lights, remove the sidestand and drain the coolant. As for clothing, the better the protection the better off you are, just in case . RPM requires a full racing suit, boots and good helmet. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:38 PM

Our policies are posted here:
http://www.pacifictracktime.com/about/policies.shtml

You will find most track day organizers with relatively similar policies, with some variations pertaining usually to coolant, mirrors, or safety wire.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 04:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: requirements for the track

Quote:
Originally posted by dash
im thinking of starting to go to a track but im sure i need to do stuff to my bike before theyll let me ride. like that thingie to catch the oil and such. what are some of the basic things i need to do and will it cost me much money?

also, what kind of gear do most tracks require? i have gloves and jacket. do i need a certain kind of jacket? anything to help me through the first day at the track will help. do people race each other or just get out there and ride fast?
im thinking of going and just watching one day to kinda see how it all works.
thanks
dash
most require a jacket be made of leather, some will let textiles go on though. you'll likely need leather pants that zip into the jacket. though some (i think nesba) will let you wear two pairs of jeans your first few times. check around. mongrel has a website of track day groups and they usually put their requirements on their webpage.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:37 AM

Here is a link to the NESBA riders manual: http://www.nesba.com/membership_info/manual.pdf
It should give you a GENERAL idea of what would be required at most club-type events.

The two pairs of jeans is only for the intro class (first 2 morning sessions in the Beginners group). FWIW, I would not recommend anyone wear jeans on a racetrack.

Shameless plug- If you're between 5'10"- 6'1", I happen to have a 2-piece set of Fieldsheer leathers that can be yours for a meager $250.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 07:30 AM

stake reminded me, if you're like 5'6 and built like a 125 racer (i.e. THIN, the smallest size they make), my friend has a set of two-piece fieldsheers, best offer (older model, but never worn). he got them for a customer when he had his shop, the guy backed out, the supplier didn't issue refunds on close-outs.

stake, thanks for clearing up the two pairs of jeans thing. i thought they allowed them for anyone's first day or two.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
stake, thanks for clearing up the two pairs of jeans thing. i thought they allowed them for anyone's first day or two.
What we found works for our beginner riders is to let them wear a 2 piece outfit with the pants and jacket not zipping. Since almost everyone has a decent riding jacket, gloves, boots, helmet...we felt that for the beginners at our events we could allow them to wear leather/nylon riding pants with full armor (i.e. Joe Rocket, Hein Gericke, Alpinestars, etc)

Once a rider moves up to the Intermediate Group we then require that a 2-pc suit zips together since the speeds are higher and comes with more risk of a getoff.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:57 AM

honestly, for the cost of used leathers, it's well worth the cost. isn't that why god invented credit cards....

Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode