Thunderhill CA 7/23-7/24 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thunderhill CA 7/23-7/24

Format: 3 groups (Advanced/Intermediate/Beginner), three 20 minute sessions per hour all day, special 10-minute two-up/ladies session at the end of lunch. (This is a GREAT way to get women into track riding!)

Amenities: Catered continental breakfast with Starbucks brewed coffee, sit down catered lunch, Michelin race tire service, suspension setup assistance, paddock beverage service, course photographer, on-track video, instruction available at no extra charge, special guest instructors, and sponsor discounts for Frequent Riders.

Safety Features: Full course control, professional corner workers, ALS ambulance, and crash truck.

Bike Preparation: Tape or remove mirrors (must be removed for advanced riders), tape all glass and plastic, remove or tape license plate bolts, 75% tread on tires, no center stands or glycol coolant in advanced group.

Rider Gear: Damage free SNELL or DOT full face helmet with undamaged shield, Riding boots with full ankle coverage, gauntlet-style gloves with full wrist coverage, back protectors are mandatory for advanced riders. One or two piece protective suit. Two piece suits must zip together if worn in Intermediate or Advanced Group. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable provided they have reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas.

7/23 is an APRILIA DEMO DAY, where every rider will get one free demo session on a 2002 RSV Mille. The cost for this day is $195.

7/24 is a regular season Pacific Track Time day at $199.

You can register online at http://www.pacifictracktime.com/events.shtml or call us at 877-809-2170 for more information or to register by phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:02 AM

$199 ??? Thats a bit steep. We're not riding BMW's...

I say dump the Starbucks stuff and charge a more reasonable $155

At that price i might even drive up from Phoenix.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Hi Michael,

From a strict dollar standpoint, we're actually about 5-10% higher than average, yet still lower than some groups that run track days out there.

If I was charging you that extra 5-10% for some coffee, you'd be right on target. But how much does it cost to put on a much nicer day than the bare-bones day where you get a sack lunch and nothing else? Quite a bit. And do we have the clientele who want to be treated a little better than the next guy? Yup.

I will freely admit that for the absolute diehard track junkie looking for nothing more than an open track, we may not be the most attractive option in pricing, although I would emphatically state that with our more professional organization and instructional staff we have more to offer you than the cheap guys.

One reason a lot of people don't track ride (beyond some fears that may be unfounded until they actually try it) is that they've been given a huge checklist by a well-meaning friend of all the crap they have to haul to the track. EZ-up, cooler with water, power bars, lunch, lube, etc. At our days you need NONE OF THAT. It's not just the coffee (we just know people like GOOD coffee so we brew that), it's the catered continental breakfast, a real quality catered lunch, beverage service all day (we provide ALL the chilled water you need all day), photographer, instruction, trackside tire service, etc. So you really don't need to bring ANYTHING unless you feel some compelling need to do so. What's that worth? Well...our riders seem to feel it's worth the extra couple bucks.

I would encourage you to come out and ride with us sometime (perhaps WSIR for $190 on 9/5 or 10/24) and see the difference for yourself. I think you'll be happy to pay that extra $10-15 to ride with a professionally run group with these amenities.

We hope to see you at the track sometime!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:36 AM

Where is Thunderhill?

Did I hear that right, We Don't need ez up and all that hoopla?? How many sessions per day ya figure you can get in, if you didn't skip any?
What's the temp like there in CA?

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Re: Where is Thunderhill?

Quote:
Originally posted by superbikebiotch
Did I hear that right, We Don't need ez up and all that hoopla?? How many sessions per day ya figure you can get in, if you didn't skip any?
What's the temp like there in CA?
We have our own big canopies that we bring out as a rider hospitality area with chairs and stuff, so you really don't need anything beside you and your bike.

We normally get 6 sessions in for most groups. On a really incident free day a couple riders may see a 7th session. On a day with several incidents, you may only see 5 sessions, although we typically get 6 sessions in for most groups.

At Thunderhill last Thursday, our beginner riders reported averaging 95-105 miles, our intermediates seemed to average about 120-130 miles, and some advanced riders reported logging over 145 miles. That is a LOT of track time unless you're a diehard track junkie with some real stamina to combat fatigue and dehydration. My PERSONAL opinion is that a track day shouldn't just be about the miles, since I've attended days where I logged more than 160 miles and the last 25 miles were pretty sloppy with me cheating on body positioning just to stay less fatigued. Did I really improve my skills in those last miles or just reinforce bad habits to combat fatigue? So I would rather have you get fewer miles and ride well and get some instruction. And especially when it's hot, you need the off-track time to get yourself hydrated and mentally sharp, plus our instructors will also talk with you off track if you've been having them work with you. Again, just my personal philosophy but our riders seem to like it.

July temps at Thunderhill (80 miles N. of Sacramento on I-5) can top 100 degrees. It was a balmy 88 degrees there last Thursday. Willow Springs will see highs around 100-105 degrees for our date there in early September, and about 88-95 degrees when we're out there in October. This is why I draft my 4 daughters as the "water nazis" to walk the paddock and push chilled water on my riders all day long...you need it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Todd, will you be doing the big track at Willow in Sept. or the Streets..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
We're at WSIR on 9/5 and then at the Streets on 9/17 (this will be an Aprilia Demo Day as well, with each rider bringing their own bike but also getting one free demo session on a 2002 Mille).

In October we're at the Streets on 10/23 and then WSIR on 10/24.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4

What is the difference between track & streets day?

The cost looks good to me considering that I'm have never been on the track and all I have to bring is my bike. I rather pay for the extra good stuff. Please keep us updated on the Willow Springs Day on 9/5.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by R6GUY

What is the difference between track & streets day?

The cost looks good to me considering that I'm have never been on the track and all I have to bring is my bike. I rather pay for the extra good stuff. Please keep us updated on the Willow Springs Day on 9/5.
What we mean when we all say "Big Track" vs. "The Streets" are the two different road courses at Willow Springs.

The "Big Track" (also formally called "WSIR" for Willow Springs International Raceway) is the 9-turn, 2.5 mile course. This is the one known as the "Fastest track in the West" since you will see 175mph or more if you're a top rider.

The "Streets of Willow Springs" is their 1.8 mile 14-15 turn course where most magazines do their bike testing for more real-world evaluations. This is a tighter course, with everything from a decent front straight to 1st/2nd gear turns to a 20-degree banked "bowl".

I normally suggest that new track riders start at the Streets first since it's a GREAT learning track. The speeds at WSIR can be a little intimidating to new track riders, and you don't learn as much since most of the turns are so high-speed that you're not really working the bike as much at the lower Beginner-Intermediate speeds.

Not to say that we don't get newbies at the WSIR dates...it's just that if you're not only new to track riding but ALSO a pretty slow or timid street rider this isn't the place to go for your first track day. If you can even hold a moderately fast pace in your everyday canyon-carving then you'll certainly do fine at WSIR for a first day. But I STILL will stress that the Streets is a better "learning" course.

We hope to see you out there with us sometime!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrackTime

We're at WSIR on 9/5 and then at the Streets on 9/17 (this will be an Aprilia Demo Day as well, with each rider bringing their own bike but also getting one free demo session on a 2002 Mille).

In October we're at the Streets on 10/23 and then WSIR on 10/24.
Hmmmmm..I may have to try and get out there on 9/17.. I love the streets... And I'd get to ride a priller..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode