First track day, suspension advice? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

First track day, suspension advice?

01 zx7r. stock. dunlop d204 tires. florida weather (hot track temps)

so far on the street I've got stock settings all the way around with 1 click everywhere harder (except the setyting on the bottom of the shock)

I've heard jack the back end up as far as it'll go and play from there.

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm 6'0" and 145-150 lbs without gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:21 PM

Not to sure about your suspension settings...but..for a track, I think if I were you..and this would depend on how "fast" ya are..I'd think about some sticker tires..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
yeah, 204's... or is that a typ-o and you meant 207's, 'cause i thought dunlop stopped making 204's.

be careful on any street tire that saw the street surface. you'd actually be better off with a race take-off rear (imo), if the tire is AT ALL flat-spotted.

as far as suspension....well, they're kinda set up for people your weight. get the bike on track. see what feels right, what feels wrong and talk to a control rider. if the club is worth a damn, they should be able to tell where to go next.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
yeah, 204's... or is that a typ-o and you meant 207's, 'cause i thought dunlop stopped making 204's.

it's a 2001. I'm sure it's 204, maybe 204x but defnely 204.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by 01 ZX7-R

it's a 2001. I'm sure it's 204, maybe 204x but defnely 204.
yeah the 204 is not the best track day rubber. you can get by on it. just make sure it doesn't the flat spot down the middle of the tire. it really upsets the handling.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 03:04 PM

Just from my point of view..

To get the maximum amount of fun out of a track day..I like to know that #1..my bike is working properly, #2..that my tires aren't going to let me down, having said that..I'd like to suggest getting new tires for your bike...Pirelli Supercorsa's,in the street compound, and the reason I suggest these are 2 fold, actually 3.. 1..they grip really good, 2..they heat up pretty dang fast, and 3..Knowing that they will not slide, or cause you any undo surprises, will make your track day a much more pleasurable experience..and that's the reason that your going..is to have fun..right? Just to offer a little insight..I've used most of the "popular" street tires, and none of them came close to the Pirelli Supercorsa, or the Metzler Rennsport's..same tire, different tread pattern..they inspire confidence..and that my friend goes along way..in determining the fun factor..IMHO..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 03:01 PM

I agree- at this point, don't even think about suspension settings; you have plenty of other things to focus on. Tires should be #1 priority in your set up. Those 204's do a fantastic job of keeping the bike's rims from scratching the dealer's showroom floor. At the very least, get some fresh 207's or BT010's. Check prices on any piece of stock plastic- I bet it's more than a set of tires...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 07:02 PM

Get some help setting the sag properly. This is the most important and then if you just run standard settings for comp/rebound you'll be fine as a new track rider.

I think around 30mm +/-5mm front and maybe 35 =/-5 on the rear is a good ballpark figure.

Get a buddy to help, some string, and some baggy ties. measure how compressed the suspension is with your feet up, gear on and compare this to the position of the suspension when you lift the end of the bike to extend that ends suspension to the max.

Adjust preload till you get the above figures.

I've never ridden on 204's but I'm thinking they're not the best choice for a track day if you are very good at all. If you're not leaning much who cares but then isn't lean angle why we go to the track (is for me anyway).

Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I switched out the tires witha friends set of Metzler M1. He's got a '99 Duc 996 he tracks once in a while. He threw on some race compunds and I used his street tires. With air pressure around 31-32 ish they felt great. I didn't get a chance to adjust sag like the shop owner had told me to, but he was positive I should have the pre-load in the front at 4 lines showing and to adjust rebound at the track. I cranked in the preload in the ront, leaving everything else alone for the time being.

First session I get accustomed to the track. I was in the beginners group since I had no track experience. In my group I had a gixxer 1k, duc 900 SS, sv650, gs500, and a 929 switched back and forth between my run group and the one right above mine, and maybe another. Start pushing harder. Wow, these tires are nice. They're sized 180/55 instead of the 190's I'm used to. and this m1 tire is notorious for being a hair small, so it was more like 174-176 wide. front end felt nice. The course was a 2 mile left hander with 3 high speed turns, a dogleg, chicane and double apex. It's a motorcycle only track, no shifter carts, no nothing.

Second session. Had to switch toe sliders from right to left because the left one was already distroyed. Threw a knee down once of twice. Peg feelers non existent. Lapped the sv650 twice and the rest of the field once in our 20 minute session. me and the gixxer fairly evenly matched.

Third session. Clicked one more compression in the rear. came alive a bit more. threw knee down more often. almost gave it a big highside on the second right in the chicane. I thought my peg was too far on the ground and caused the rear end to lift. the rear caught again and stood the bike right back up. a chilling experience to say the least. yesterday, the day after the track, I am cleaning the bike, when I realize "oh shit". it was not the peg but the exhaust that caught the track and send the rear end sliding a bit. now today my akrapovic race came in. damnit

it's late, so I will continue another time. Thanks for the suspension help, I will be sure to get the sag right this week so I will have the settings right. Now I have to throw back on my clunky old d204's. bah.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:26 PM

Not bad grounding the can on your first track day. I'd say the 204's would have let you down most likely. Good write up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode