Track Insurance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Track Insurance

For those of you that frequent the track, what kind of insurance if any do you have. Now stop laughing, I'm not talking about comprehensive/collision coverage for your bike, I was thinking more like liability insurance.

After my first track day, my trusty 929 is now a track only bike. I do not currently have insurance. Being from California originally, I know that when accidents happen people like to sue. I know the groups that put on track days/races have insurance, but I'm pretty sure that is to protect them not me.

Anyone thought much about this? Anyone been sued? Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by cyco929; 06-17-2002 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:00 PM
Founder

If you run track days with Team Arizona at Firebird then neither Team AZ nor Firebird will cover you or your bike in case of an accident. (It's in the waiver you sign before you are allowed to ride)

I've never heard of an extension that covers your bike while on the track. And far be it from me to suggest this () but I know a few people who have crashed on the track and claimed they did it on the street so their insurance would cover it.

Myself I only have liability so my bike is not covered on the street or the track. (Something about tickets and my record seems to make insurance companies not want to offer me full coverage)

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:41 PM

I've never wadded my bike at the track..Most Insurance cos. that I know of, and that's not to say some all won't, but they won't cover ya, cause they consider it a race enviorment..some insurance cos. won't cover ya if ya take a rider school.. I have full coverage on mine..if it did get trashed..well...I won't get into that..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 06:08 AM

Question

In the team AZ/ track time waiver for Firebird, I recall it stating that you hold HARMLESS anyone (team az, firebird AND OTHER RIDERS) who causes damage or injury- its at your own risk... and doesn't the CCS handbook say something to similar effect. Because its a racing enviornment, shit happens... I remember thinking that was fnny because someone could run you off the road, and get away with it! I think most people out there wouldn't attempt to sue you, however there is always some dork who may try. But you always have that waiver on your side.

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 06:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
yeah, there's a release of liability. however if someone did sue you, you'd be okay. the club and the track and the motorcycle manufacturers have deeper pockets.

actually, if you're not racing do drop the insurance on your bike. read your policy. it usually covers track days. don't claim small stuff, but if you total your bike...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:18 AM

In alot of cases even with those waivers you sign you can get by with sueing someone if it is for negligence. You probably wouldn't get too far but someone that gets seriously injured due to gross negligence will get some "points" for sympathy. I have never heard of any lawsuits related to race crashes. It would ruin it for everyone if it happened.

We have a few members that are lawyers. Maybe they could shed some light on it. I'm going on knowledge gained from my Dad(retired from insurance business).

It kind of goes along the lines of roller skating rinks that say "skate at your own risk". That only applies to injuries that are not due to their negligence.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
waivers have been holding up better in court after local government started saving ski slopes. it's amazing how quick the laws change, when the law is paying the bills.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 08:25 AM

trackday insurance

Check the paperwork and descriptions of activity for the track day organization that you are dealing with. T.E.A.M. Arizona track days are very clearly labeled, on all of our paperwork, as non-competitive events.

We have had a few people wad their bikes and successfully process damage claims with their insurance companies. In one case, a rider rear-ended another bike, and the at-fault rider's insurance covered the damage to both machines.

In two cases, the insurance company involved called our office to verify that the rider was a participant at our track day and they also requested copies of our paperwork and instructions. Both times the claims were covered. All that paperwork can be golden, if you need it.

There was one case where a rider crashed while racing CCS and told his insurance company that he had crashed with us, at a trackday. He probably was not too happy with the result.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I have a better feel for it now. I'll see some of you at Firebird next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode