knee-slider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

knee-slider

To knee sliders,

I'm just beginning to knee slide my bike. I've only had a couple "track day" experiences and in both instances, I reverted to knee hugging my tank. And, in lot of the turns, I really was leaning hard. But, I realize the professionals and sportriders utilize the knee-slider technique. I've heard this is a matter of preference and a style. I'm somewhat skeptical that this is the only function. It seems to me that the knee sliding technique allows the rider to apply maximum grip while going through a turn. Also, I've heard that the knee-sliding technique allows for the rider to measure how far the bike is leaning. Since I realize that the more the bike is at the "upmost" position: 0 lean, max. grip is utilized. And if a rider is able to go into a turn w/ less lean angle, the better his/her chance of not sliding out. But, I realize also, lean angle is very much dependent on the the type of turn. If the turn is tight and one's entrance speed is very fast, one has to lean much more to make the turn. And obviously, at this point, the knee-sliding technique would not be advisable and the focus would have to be to lean as much as one can (forcing the knee to hug the tank) to make the turn. MSF's beginner course have empasized and supports the knee-tank hugging approach, but this is probably because, at this stage, a beginner, by not hugging the tank w/ his knee would do more to upset the bike than help it along.

Please provide feedback and your experiences w/ this technique.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 08:29 AM

MFS doesnít have much to do with track riding. Have your outside knee on the tank and the inside knee away from the tank. Itís fine to have the puck lightly skimming the pavement. Donít really put weight on the puck or grind it, thereís no point. The weight on the puck isnít on the tires where it should be.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svBob
MFS doesnít have much to do with track riding. Have your outside knee on the tank and the inside knee away from the tank. Itís fine to have the puck lightly skimming the pavement. Donít really put weight on the puck or grind it, thereís no point. The weight on the puck isnít on the tires where it should be.
Exactomundo..keep your inside leg relaxed..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

So, is this more a style than function?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 06:56 PM

Knee down makes good photos, elbow down wow!

Yeah, thereís the other kind of style in that every rider has to figure out what works for him/her. If you donít have a knee down but you are staying with a rider that does donít worry about it. If skimming the puck helps you sense whatís going on then fine. Just donít press the puck down.

Re: MSF
I donít want my earlier MSF comment to come across as negative. Iíve done the MSF experienced rider course (started riding long before MSF was available) and highly recommend MSF to street riders.

But what MSF teaches tends to be ďOne size fits allĒ. If you want to sport ride on the street or do track days / racing you have keep getting more specific education as you increase speed. Read, take track classes, racing classes, etc.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaneda
So, is this more a style than function?
In addition to Bob's comments..I think for some, me included..it's a security blanket..so to speak..I tend to use my knee as a lean gauge..however..I know that there is some room to play with..i.e. more or less lean angle..Still, I feel better when my knee is out there..If I were you, I'd try riding both ways, to see what suites you best..Also..understanding how to ride fast doesn't isn't always conducive to draggin your knees, or visea versa (sp)..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

So, it sounds to me, like it's a personal preference and not an indisputable function. Well, if the folks at the top of the game (WSBK) are doing it, there must be something to it. Thanks guys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 11:07 AM

I've heard someone say that he was able to use his knee to save himself from a crash. I'm not too sure about the validity of that story, what are your opinions on this?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichieLaz
I've heard someone say that he was able to use his knee to save himself from a crash. I'm not too sure about the validity of that story, what are your opinions on this?
Maybe I'm just weak..but it didn't help me save my bike from 3 lowsides, and 1 highside.. of course..I had tires that had very little feedback..and they tend to give no warning when they are about to let go..my current tires give lots of feedback..so far ..no crashes with them..even though I had a few front wheel slides on Monday at the track..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Sure the knee down could save you, seen it during AMA/WSB/GP racing and heard about it at the track. Tires loose traction and slide; quick stab of the knee puck into the pavement can push the bike back up. However, I have NEVER done it or wish to do it. Unless it actually saves me, then I would tell everyone! So far I have low-sided twice, with my knee down one of the times and it didnít help. <g>
Being a racer and a MSF instructor I can tell you this. It is VERY hard for me to stand in front of a class and teach them riding styles techniques I don't fully believe. But you have to remember, the lessons we teach you in the MSF aren't always applicable to racing (for the most part). Remember that the MSF is trying to give a group of new riders (or riders who have rejoin the sport after time away) the very basic minimums to safely riding on the street. And the riders will be riding anything from a cruiser to a sportbike to an enduro.

Last edited by funksouljon; 06-12-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode