Sportbike World banner

Got Beacon?

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  desmo079 
#1 ·
Does any one know where I can buy a lap timer beacon and a "reciever" to put on my bike?

If so, how much do they cost?

Are the "frequencies" the same for all of them?

After my track day 5-21-02, I realised that I can't truly judge my progress (if any) without accurate lap times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
There's a ton of different places to get them from. I think they run around $285 or so (the great thing about Aprilia is they build timers right into the bike :D ). You may want to check out www.racewaycycle.com (732)262-2808. The guy who owns it is Mike Miller. He sells strictly over the internet and track-side. He is a great source of information and will bend over backwards to answer all of your questions and a get you a good price. I have found it rare to find a genuinely good guy in the sportbike business. I buy from him whenever I can.

#3 ·
The most common one used by racers is the MyChron Light model. It's what I use, works great. Widely available for $200 or less. A new player in the market is Ultra Lap- some good reviews so far, has been discussed at length on the WERA board. I think it's about the same price. The IR transmitter is interchangeable between these brands. 95% of the time mine stays in the van since someone else has theirs set up already.

#5 ·
I have the My-Cron version, I only bought the timer part not the transmitter ($185), our club has one that we set up, if not others have the transmitter. It works great for me, it's a great tool to judge your progress if you can't get one have someone time from the sidelines evey once in while.

The lap timer on the Aprilia is a manual so it might take some attention away from the track to work it and that's not always a good idea. There''s already enough to think about out there who needs more.

#9 ·
Racewaycycle

Hey Stake:

Thanks for telling me about racewaycycle. I called him and got his cell phone. He took my order while he was driving his truck to a race! GREAT service and fair price.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
Stake said:
Glad it worked out for you. As soon as I sell the Falco I'm gonna start stocking up on all that cool racer stuff.

:D
GO FOR IT!!!
Once you get your racing license, racing is a cheap (but really intense) track day AND they are on weekends, so you don't have to use vacation time.

Keep us posted.

#17 ·
OUCH!!!

Tristan said:
No weekends, but I don't exactly live next door to a track! Most race weekends I leave thurs. morning, practice friday, race sat.+sun., recover monday. That's 3 days off, and $1000 per weekend would be a fair estimate of average cost.
I see what you mean. Bummer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.