race report--i still suck!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Angry race report--i still suck!!!

well, some of us spent mother's day weekend racing at summit point.

first race (hwsb) started off with me bogging my 750. and went downhill from there. i think i went into one next to last. by the time the first lap ended i was last and HATED my bike.

it turns out the soft suspension on the street was a nightmare on the track.

for the first time in two years on the track (besides endurance racing), i got lapped. i'll admit it, i gave up.

second race (hwss). i hung in there for a few laps, i think i was about 12th. then i dug something into the ground on the 2nd lap. i slowed up a bit and started watching everyone pass me by.

on the plus side--400 is coming back into action.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: race report--i still suck!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
well, some of us spent mother's day weekend racing at summit point.

first race (hwsb) started off with me bogging my 750. and went downhill from there. i think i went into one next to last. by the time the first lap ended i was last and HATED my bike.

it turns out the soft suspension on the street was a nightmare on the track.

for the first time in two years on the track (besides endurance racing), i got lapped. i'll admit it, i gave up.

second race (hwss). i hung in there for a few laps, i think i was about 12th. then i dug something into the ground on the 2nd lap. i slowed up a bit and started watching everyone pass me by.

on the plus side--400 is coming back into action.
Not again... Now that does suck...so when is the 400 gonna be back..? reminder to self.....check suspension before this Thursday's track day..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

i put the 400 in the hands of a professional. it should be done in about a week.

i'm swapping the old head for my freshened head. i'm quite certain it's tuliped the valves.

as for the 750's suspension. the 750 is completely stock (and i weigh 213!!!). the rear end isn't bad, i can set the sag to about an inch. once i got to the track, i wish i could have shimmed it up a bit. but that's too much work track side.

the front on the other hand sucked. totally. i talked to the mid-atlantic traxxion action center. they told me the stock springs are about .7 or .75. he said for my weight, it would be probably a .925 or .95. i also mentioned my ground clearance problem. he was telling me they extend the forks 10mm as well. i read awhile back that traxxion extends the front 10mm and jacks up the back 12mm.

so, i think my experiment is over.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
i put the 400 in the hands of a professional. it should be done in about a week.

i'm swapping the old head for my freshened head. i'm quite certain it's tuliped the valves.

as for the 750's suspension. the 750 is completely stock (and i weigh 213!!!). the rear end isn't bad, i can set the sag to about an inch. once i got to the track, i wish i could have shimmed it up a bit. but that's too much work track side.

the front on the other hand sucked. totally. i talked to the mid-atlantic traxxion action center. they told me the stock springs are about .7 or .75. he said for my weight, it would be probably a .925 or .95. i also mentioned my ground clearance problem. he was telling me they extend the forks 10mm as well. i read awhile back that traxxion extends the front 10mm and jacks up the back 12mm.

so, i think my experiment is over.
no wonder you sucked... even at my weight 180 I run .90 springs..I have a reworked ..Works performance shock with a 400# spring..and the rear raised 12mm..altough, I think it could still tip in a tad quicker in the med./high speed turns....imho

So...when are ya gettin your suspension done.????

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4

no wonder you sucked... even at my weight 180 I run .90 springs..I have a reworked ..Works performance shock with a 400# spring..and the rear raised 12mm..altough, I think it could still tip in a tad quicker in the med./high speed turns....imho

So...when are ya gettin your suspension done.????
actually, i think i'm going leave it alone. off the track, the soft settings are okay. it's only when really going for it.

when i bought the bike i wanted to buy it, sell off the bodywork, paint it, make it a cool looking streetbike. i guess that door is now totally blown wide open for me.

now it's just plotting it all out and hoping that the bike won't attract the wrong attention from johnny law in the meantime.

and honestly, the 400 is a lot more fun. and definitely CHEAPER to race.

Tony

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 07:01 PM

C'mon Tony, Quit snivelling.

You are the one that gave me so much good advice and inspiration when I started racing this Feb. at age 49.

Check the race results for the May 4 2002 Las Vegas CCS race, Amature Formula 40 www.ccsracing.com.

There I am, dead last TWO LAPS behind. You make finishing last seem like some kind of reason to quit.

At least I FINISHED.

Remember: winners are just losers that got back up and tried again.

Now, wipe yer nose, dry those tears and gimme a hug.

There.

You're all better.

Now, go out and kick some ass

But you'd better adjust your suspension a little...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

i'm down, but i'm not out. i'm just gonna hold off on racing a big bike for some time to come. it's just not as fun.

i was telling a friend of mine about the weekend and i was bitching about my first race (hwsb). then i was saying how i kinda hung in there in hwss for a lap or two around 12th or so. and he really summed it up in a positive light. he said that if i could get a stock bike (that i never raced before) into the top 15, even for a lap, that's pretty damn good. so, i think i'll take that point of view. put a positive spin on it. and hell, i didn't finish last in hwss!!!

however, i'm really looking forward to getting the 400 back out. it's just A LOT more fun to race. plus, i got a certificate for some pirelli slicks for it (thanks trackside supply). and lord knows it's a LOT easier on tires.

btw, i've watched a formula 40 race, those guys are FAST!!!! sorry about getting lapped twice. but don't feel bad, it really is a tough class.

I FORGOT TO MENTION:

they had scooter racing at summit point that weekend. it was cool as hell. an aprilia scooter and something old and nasty sounding (looked like a honda trail 70) won the races. they were cool as hell. LOTS of vespa's!!!

Tony

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 06:09 AM

What Desmo said, Tony!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:22 PM

Tony, don't give up on the big bike. It took me a while to get used to my GSXR750. Coming from the GS500, that I had for 9 years and felt like part of me. Now the GSXR feel like my GS did. It took a while and a lot of racking my brain to get it right but I feel good about it now. I'm still learning and have some ways to go to master it completely.

Your a very good rider and can master the 750. Don't give up on it, remember it took time for you to learn about the 400. Look at Gallo on his new GSXR600, it took him some time to get comfortable on it, so we all have done it and you can too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode