First track day report - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

First track day report

Ok, so the first track day is under the belt and sorry to say it was unspectacular at best.

a) Started raining at about 2:00 and turned the whole thing moist. I don't even ride in the rain on the street, so I sure as heck am not going to test the limits of traction in the rain on a 748. No sir, no thank you.

b) Ok, how do I say this next part without sounding like a hot shot? I don't know so I'm just gonna say it.
The novice group I signed on for my first track day was too slow. I think I did the right thing by sticking to the novice group since I had never really been on a track (on a bike) except for the California SBK School.
But I just couldn't get a rhythm in any of the 4 sessions, the last one in a light drizzle so it sucked anyway.
I am very confident of the things I need to work on, and I just couldn't do it constantly having to check up because of someone in front of me (remember, no passing in the novice group).
I'm sure some of this would have opened up a bit towards the end of the day, but Mother Nature said no more riding for you.

So, I signed up for another on June 1 in the intermediate group. Unlike the advanced group which had some pretty serious dudes in it, the intermediate group seemed kind of, well, intermediate. I would rather be slow in this group than get held up in the novice.

For those of you who have been considering a track day but just haven't pulled the trigger, go for it. Despite my comments above, it was still a blast. With all the diversions, distractions and worries of riding on the street, you just can't attain the single purpose level of focus that you can lapping on a track. Not a single thought of radar guns, mini vans, or other assorted dangers. (except for the suicidal chipmunks .... what a mess.)

Oh, one more thing. You may have seen my post where I expressed concern as to how I was going to get the bike up the ramp and back on the truck. (this was a rented box van with a deck height of about 40" with the standard pull out ramp).
I was going to wing it and just assume that with the help of a few people we could push it back up the ramp, because I sure as sh** was not going to ride it.
Well, the way it ended up was that I just started her up, put it in gear and just walked it up the ramp with a little clutch (I was not sitting on the bike). Worked good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 01:42 PM

Were you at Blackhawk with Nesba or Gingerman with Sportbike Track Time? I was at Grattan 2 weekends ago with STT.

Even when riders are divided into 3 groups for a track day there is a huge range of skills and comfort levels in each group. Itís up to the club to set and enforce the appropriate rules for each group so the faster riders (or worse, the riders who think they are faster) donít get out of hand.

Next track day ask about moving to Intermediate, when the club sees that you are ready itís usually easy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 01:46 PM

You know, a rainy day at the track is better than a sunny day at work.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 04:26 PM

FANTASTIC, Red Duck!!

Glad to see you liked the track experience, as limited as it was. You are sooooo right about the lack of distractions. Please tell us about your next "full" day at the track.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by svBob
Were you at Blackhawk with Nesba or Gingerman with Sportbike Track Time?
I was at Gingerman with STT. A well run operation with good people.

I signed up for the intermediate at Grattan on June 1.
I sincerely hope that I'm not pushing it and fooling myself into thinking I'm faster than I am. I watched alot of the intermediate group at Gingerman and, while I may be at the slower end, I think I can fit in.
I know for sure that spending (part of a ) day in the novice group was frustrating and mostly got in the way of working on the things I know I need to work on (body position, turn in points, quick turn in etc.) because I was always having to pull up. It's frustrating to have to pull off the gas at the exact time you know you are supposed to be on it.

I hope to report back positively after June 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode