Can't go fast after crash, help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Can't go fast after crash, help!

I joined the my first race last month. The day before the race, I practiced a lot, and felt invincible, everything seemed perfect, my tyres where really great and sticky, my times where low for a novice etc.... Race day came and I got pole, I felt even more invincible.

After the third lap I came on a left hand sweeper, came in too hot but thought "what the hell, my tyres have been sticking all day yesterday" so I didn't stop as much as I should have, went into the corner when my rear tyre went out from under me.

My problem now is my lack of confidence. I went out to practice yesterday and found out that I wasn't taking the corners as fast as I could, and I kept on thinking what could happen if I did crash. Especially in that corner where I crashed. It's a week away from the next race and now I'm getting the jitters.

Help please?

Last edited by RichieLaz; 05-13-2002 at 02:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:04 AM
Founder

You got the pole in your first race? hhhmmm..... What were the experts on, bicycles? Nothing against you personally, but I've NEVER heard of anyone landing pole in their first race.

As far as getting back up to speed. Only time will heal your fear. It's different for everyone.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robert; 05-13-2002 at 03:12 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Eh?

Oh sorry, where I'm from (Philippines). The novice, are seperated from the experts. Races here aren't as developed as it is there, we have 5-10 riders in the grid for novice races. With the top 5 moving unto intermediate at the end of the season. So I was running with people with relatively similar skills.

Last edited by RichieLaz; 05-13-2002 at 06:24 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 AM

Losing the edge...

Hello,

I totally understand. The same thing happened to me but in auto racing. I race a Datsun 2000 in Vintage racing. During a practice day at Thunderhill Raceway here in Northern California I was turning personal great times and they were getting better and better as the car was set-up.

Anyway, as the day progresses I was on the track again with warm tires on warm and alot of confidence. Exiting turn one I looked in my rearview and saw a car hot on my ass. I missed my entrance and line and apex and hit the dirt doing appx 65 at Turn two. Traveled backwards for about 100 yards with my foot buried in the brake pedal and my arms fighting to keep the car moving straight. I thought I was going to flip and roll. I was ****ing scared.

Okay... that was three years ago and I have never been the same. Been to Sears Point, Laguna Seca and Thill but the edge is gone. And I really dont care if it is either. I learned that it really isnt that important to turn a 0.5 - 1.0 second faster lap. I didnt need to travel to the edge to get the thrill anymore.

I rather just get on the track and have fun without taking too many chances. Afterall, racing isnt my carreer. It is just a hobby. I also have a pregnant wife and a 2 year old that mean more then me pushing the envelope.

This all translate to motorcycles too. We are out there to have fun. Street and track... for most of us it is a hobby. Take it easy out there. Dont break you body or your bike. Have fun and be sensible.

Miguel
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:16 PM

I don't know if this will help, or if it should even be here..anyway, I've crashed a few times, on the mountian roads..3 lowsides, and 1 highside..I have riden to where I drug my pegs ect..and my tires work great..I know they will stick, but because of the crashes, which were my fault..looking back on them, except for 1 wherethere was a couple of patches in the road..I have a mental block about going in a turn to fast..in my mind, I know I can do it, I watch other riders do it, yet if I'm on the track without someone in front of me, who I can chase..I slow way down, as I don't want to wreck my bike..so..the best way for me is to have someone just slightly faster in front, so I can focus on staying with that rider, not target fixate on him, just use him for a gauge, for lack of a better word, I see him go in the turn, I know IF he can..then I can too..Hopefuly my mental block will disapear, till then..that's how I'm building my confidence back up..it might work for ya..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions Robert, calspeed, and Hammer 4. I'll certainly take those into consideration. Oh well one thing is for sure, I don't want to crash again, I never realized how much this racing thing would cost, especially with the repairs for my bike.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:52 AM

Cool Hammer- you are spot on!

Hammer-
I know exactly where you are coming from. I had a nasty high-side after a tank-slapper accelerating out of a turn about 8 weeks ago. totaled my 2000 929rr. Now I ride a superhawk, and even thoughmy wreck wasn't directly related to turning, I just can't seem to get myself to lay the new bike over as far as I used too. I constantly find myself in mid-turn saying, "you coulda done that 10-20mph faster!" I tto seem to do better if i let a faster rider lead. it seems I ignore my speedo more and concentrate on holding my partners line (If he can do it, I can too!) Needless to say, I am less than happy about this. i keep questioning how important is it in the scheme of things. I am considering taking a professional track school course, to see if that gets my confidence back. It is wierd. I tell myself as long as I am still having fun, it shouldn't matter. But I still get that twinge of failure, and feeling of regression for not performing as on the edge (for my own skill level) as I was before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode