trackday report - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
trackday report

I SUCK!!!!!!!

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 05:15 AM

Talking

LMAO!!

Do you have to be so long winded.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 07:54 AM

Wow! Hell of a write-up, Tony!

I've got a track day coming up here at Roebling Road in Savannah on Monday. Mind if I just copy your's when I get done? I know it will apply.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 07:57 AM

Where-when-why-how did you SUCK!!!!!!?

Did I mention my first track day of the season a few weeks ago? Lowsided twice in Putnam T4, that kind of sucked. No injury or major damage so it was kind of fun in pissing-on-the-electric-fence sort of way. Really blew my confidence for getting the year going.

Last weekend I did 2 days at Grattan with Sportbike Track Time. Very tense the first couple sessions and then started having fun. At the end of the day I was 40 feet behind my friend & travelling companion for the weekend going towards T3, a kind of sharp right. She passes a guy on the right and then at the turnís entrance he rear-ended her left peg. He goes down, she makes the turn.

In the 1.5 seconds it took for the collision to develop & happen I completely target fixated. When they separated my attention snapped back to my own riding. My concentration the turn was completely lost and instead of trying to get it back I decided to go straight into the grass to the left of the bike & rider sliding into the grass.

I get the speed down, turn towards the track, and stop on the grass long enough for the adrenaline to settle and the traffic to clear enough for reentry. The guy is 30 feet from his bike, slowly sits then stands and then starts acting pissed. A lot of vapor is coming off his bike, I guess coolant steam but?Ö I point to his bike and yell ďTurn off the key!Ē

On my friendís F4 the left peg is bent forward enough to break the top of the rearset triangle and snap off the shift lever. Her only spare was for the right side but there was another rider who had a spare at home only 6 miles away.

The Sunday was good for both of us, she bumped up to advanced and I stayed in intermediate even though our lap times where about the same. I think we each made the right decision.

After lunch STT has a short session just for women riders or bikes with passengers. Helene trades bikes with a Buell rider. She is soon black flagged, the Buell has a massive fuel leak and she is soaked from one knee down and the other foot.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i didn't crash.

the when i sucked--yesterday

where i sucked--summit point, wv full course

why i sucked--if you're riding your gsx-r750 by feel, it shouldn't feel like an fzr400.

how did i suck--BAD!!! :P

first session, i realize that other than drilling holes and removing parts and putting parts on, i've hardly touched a motorcycle in about 7 months. i also decided to try a new tire package. oldish D207ZR front with well used 207gp that we endurance raced on last year. it made for a sketchy start to my day. anyway, i used that session to wear off the first hard layer of rubber off the old dunlops. i also realized that i forgot to set up my suspension and get a drink.

suspension tuning trackside 101--for the 00-02 750, grab a socket and start turning that fork preload. figure out why there is little difference in the rebounding of the fork when you adjust the rebound knobs, but there seems to be more compression. take a guess, curse at the bike and settle on one turn out on rebound, half on compression, no lines showing (i'm a fat boy). go to the shock. crank down the preload until all of your knuckles are bleeding. realize that you have no band-aids and grab your paper towels and electrical tape. make a band-aid. curse your bike, your finger and anything else within earshot.

second session--i realize that i still didn't get that damn drink i wanted. so i head out and get seamingly less impressive. i tried sticking my knee out further than usual for some good pics, but to no avail. no knee. and knee at summit isn't that hard. on the front straight i notice an sv650 is passing me. now, on a 400, that happens, but on 750????? i look at the tach, 7k??? so next lap around, i want to upshift because i feel like i'm closing in on redline. i look at the tach, 9k. i realize that i've been riding a 400 by feel. and now i need to re-learn a new bike.

third session--more trying to get a feel. still short shifting. occassionally get on the cam, but not often enough.

fourth session--started taking real runs down the front straight. i see that my gearing is pretty far off. i must be slow, everyone is saying 17/42. i'm thinking 17/45 would be a better set up for me. which means i'm REALLY off the pace. i also realize that on the 750, i stightly carry the front wheel most of the way through 4th gear. kinda freaky. with the bumps in the track the bar move quite a bit in my hands.

fifth and sixth sessions--i rode around a lot. i looked for lines, rode slower. i think i picked up the pace by slowing everything down. but i still had a long way to go.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:25 AM

First track day of the year, new bike, you did ok. This stuff ainít easy, it takes a few days to get over the winter & learn a new bike. And Iíve passed liter in-lines on my SV.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:32 AM

Your tach comments are interesting (shifting by sound). When I went on the track 6 weeks ago with the GS500, 100% of my current riding to that point had been on the ZX-6R.

God, I felt bad for that little bike everytime I'd realize that I was waiting for the 6R scream to shift.

(NOTE TO SELF: CHECK TACH REGULARLY)

On the upside, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:42 AM

Regardless of what happened...things could have been worse..

And if you think your track day sucked, try doing one with out the advantage of front brakes...now that sucks.. But, new rotor's are installed, and just waitin for the 23rd..

You'll get em next time..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM

Ahhh, Master Po say:

"No brakes make rider very smoooth through course... if rider make it through course".
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joss
Ahhh, Master Po say:

"No brakes make rider very smoooth through course... if rider make it through course".
Ahh..Master Po ..also say..riders are easily able to pass on entry w/o brakes..then have play catch up in turns.. and rider did make it..no crash..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

Last edited by Hammer 4; 05-07-2002 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode