Off the Fence (somewhat) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Cool Off the Fence (somewhat)

I'm finally taking the plunge and getting on the track. I'm signed up for Pridmore's STAR school in Topeka, KS on June 3rd. Nervous but excited...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:33 AM

Good luck and give us the full report on STAR and Topeka later on. What tires are you going to use?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Just put a new set of 207ZRs on. Hopefully they'll be nicely scuffed but not too worn by the time June 3rd rolls around. I'm guessing they'll be all the tire I need (vs. GP compound).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 05:12 PM

Excellent..relax, and have fun..I have a friend that will prolly be there, his name is Nick..he rides a red & black 98 600 Gixxer..if ya see him..tell em Hammer said Hi..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Arrow

Less than a week! Got some low-tack tape yesterday for the headlight/gauges. Now everyone pray to the rain gods to stay away from Topeka next Monday!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:07 AM

Again (this is hopeless ) relax.

Remember it is supposed to be fun while you are there.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
a slight drizzle isn't a bad thing. just keep it in your head that you can ride in the rain.... but warm and sunny is MUCH more fun. relax and enjoy what your bike can really do.

word of warning--whatever you've been saving up for, forget about it. you're hittin' the track!!!

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
Less than a week! Got some low-tack tape yesterday for the headlight/gauges. Now everyone pray to the rain gods to stay away from Topeka next Monday!!!
Hey...duct tape works fine.. Oh, and remember......RELAX.. sorry...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

STAR was awesome.

Jason Pridmore was actually there (kinda surprised me). He was very cool and never seemed condescending when trying to teach us newbies. The rest of the instructors were also great.

The track? Well, it's the only one I've been on, but even Jason said that it was in need of a repave. Pretty bumpy, lots of tar strips, some concrete patches. Only one guy went down (that I know of) and it was while coming onto the front straight, which is also the dragstrip. My rear end stepped out a little a few times, so I could see where too much throttle too early might be a problem (he was on a Hayabusa).

Richie Alexander pulled me aside during our first "free" session and told me what I need to work on. Mostly my body positioning needs work, and I was sticking too much to a tight corner exit rather than letting the bike run out wider. They wanted us to set up in the middle of the track before turn-in and run a tight line but I think I should have moved out a little. He said that I was getting a little too much lean angle. I could have moved up to the Advanced Group (I was in the Street Group) but I didn't feel comfortable moving up yet.

I really wish I could have returned for the second day (today) but finances and work just wouldn't allow it. Maybe next year...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like you had a great time, and got some pointers from some very good riders, in Jason, and Richie.. I'd like to take one Stars class's.. Ahh..having a somewhat less than good suface kinda takes some of the fun factor out..I know it does for me..but it's a good learning experience..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode