How fast is fast enough? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Question How fast is fast enough?

So I finally got on the track at the TEAM AZ track day at Firebird this past Sunday. My fastest timed lap was a 1:24. I think I went faster after that, but wasn't being timed, anyway that's beside the point.

My question is how fast is fast enough to enter the CCS races there at Firebird? Like should I first be running with the intermediate guys consistently or something like that?

I'm just looking for opinions.

My thinking is like this:

I learned and rode the track just fine.

I got faster as the day progressed.

Being in the beginner's group, I was occasionally held up by slower riders - sometimes that was because I wasn't allowed to pass them in the turns and sometimes that was because I didn't feel comfortable passing them in certain turns - either way I guess my point here is that I imagine I could've gone faster if everyone were at a race pace.

**This next one is a big one for me, and one that the logical side of me doesn't necessarily think is a good reason**
I'll be out of town the next time TEAM AZ does a track day, so therefore will not have another opportunity for a track day there until the fall. However, I'll be in town when the next CCS races run there - in three weeks. So this is more of an emotional feed-the-addiction type factor, but a strong one nonetheless.

And finally, I'm of the belief that one of the best ways to get better at a sport is to compete against the best people you can.

I do have con's somewhere in my head, but right now I'm not far enough removed from the track day euphoria to let them materialize.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Marquee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: How fast is fast enough?

Quote:
Originally posted by marquee
How fast is fast enough?
There's no such thing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:17 AM

CCS lap times

I'm a rookie this year in CCS and Wayne could probably answer better than me, but I run in the Supertwins class, which run amatuer and expert together and the winning race time was a 1:04+ (I didn't get to race as the bike was in the shop). The last time I was out there for practice I was running 1:09's, which I felt comfortable with as it was just practice and was only 5 sec off the race pace of the winning expert.

If your gonna be in town the next CCS race (unfortunately I'll be out of town, but I am going to the Las Vegas race this weekend), they have a Sport Rider day on Friday before the race weekend which is open to anyone.

I agree. If you run with faster riders, you can learn alot. About brake points, lines to take etc. I noticed that in following Rick Stratton (Formula 40 champ and Mr. Smooth) around PIR and him giving me pointers... very cool.

patrick

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:03 PM

Your lap times do not matter at this point. There will ALWAYS be both faster and slower guys out there. CCS probably requires you to take a race school to get a liscence, check their website.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 06:25 PM

Menace on the track

If you ran with the beginner group all day, you'll prob want to go again until you can run strong in the intermediate group...
I posted some CCS times in the other thread about this track day...
It really is more cost effective to run some trackdays and especially the less expensive CCS trackdays...you have to completely prep your bike and pay for riders school $150, license $25-100 depending on time of the year, entry fees $65, $45, $30...
contingency and purses don't make for break even racing unless you careful plan and win everything...
I ran my first track day on my TL1000R at the PIR oval last year...I was in Inter. the first track day, and they made me go Advanced at my next track day...I've had one bike or another since I was 7-8, so my experience is gonna be a little different than others..

Racing has been $h!tloads of fun for me...(except that little blunder in the lake front turn last races)...I wholeheartedly recommend if you're just getting started, get yourself a LW and learn how to outbrake and out corner everybody else on the track...if you master that, you'll be able to whip guys who have always had HP at their fingertips...
Ledesma used to carve up the LW...on an EX500, SV whatever... someone made a comment last race weekend....Mark is the only guy to put an SV on the podium in the AMA Pro Thunder...

loads of fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode