Offload bike at the track ..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Offload bike at the track .....

Ok, I told myself I wasn't going to try this, but I may have to.

I'm renting a small closed top truck to haul the bike to the track for my First Track Day (insert echo here). The bed is about 42" off the ground, and it has the standard built in roll out aluminum ramp, about 20-24" wide, and long enough for a modest incline.

I should be able to just ride the pig right down the ramp, right?
For that matter, assuming I don't wad up the entire thing, can't I just ride it back up the ramp when the day is done?

Have you ever done this? I'm thinking it's MUCH more challenging to ride it up than down, gravity assist and all.

I'm sure it can be done, but my last name isn't Kneivel and if I get alot of feedback one way or the other, I'm gonna factor that in.

If you don't ride it up and down, how do you handle it? (No, the truck does not have a winch that I can use).

Whadya say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 11:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i wouldn't ride it up (i think worse case scenerio). hell, you may smash your bean off the roof doing that (not that i came close to doing it, not me, never).

would push it up from the side. you should be able to do that with ease and even use the motor to ease your journey up the ramp. this way if you stall it, you still have your feet on the ground.

it sounds ackward i know, but it really is easy. assuming your not as high as 3.5'

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 04:51 AM

A common problem is grounding bodywork, pipes, etc as the bike goes from the ramp to the vehicle floor. Anything you can do to straighten the floor-ramp angle helps. Riding the bike makes it worse. When buying a ramp look for an arched one.

Some riders rent a cargo van for a haul vehicle.

Especially when learning to load/unload get several people to help. Easy at the track but elsewhere either no one is around or they are clueless.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

SvBob, what I'm renting is basically a cargo van (probably a little bigger than it needs to be because my brother is probably not going now). It has one of those nice ramps that is so handy when you have to move your sister every 6 months.
Your point is well taken, but I'm going to be surprised if the incline is tight enough to bottom the bike. We'll see.
Your suggestion is probably best ...... find a few dudes to provide a helping hand.
BTW, SportbikeTracktime.com has a few track days at Putnam (mid state, west side, right?) , which wouldn't be that much harder for me to get to than Gingerman (from Chicago). How's the track for a newbie track rider?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 01:29 PM

Putnam

http://www.putnampark.com/
Putnam is halfway between Indianapolis and Terra Haute a few miles from I-70. Further than Gingerman for you but not bad. Stay near the track the night before your track day. When the riding is over you should be able to make it home that night. Maybe 3.5 to 4 hours?

Putnam is a great bike track beginner to expert. Good pavement, runoff (except T10), fun layout, not fancy but good facilities. For the novice there are several straights that let you clear your head for the next turn. A couple semi blind turns, but you can always see riders ahead of you. The elevation isnít tricky.

Iíd rank in order of increasing intensity/complexity Putnam, Mid America(guessing, havenít been there yet), Gingerman, Blackhawk, and Grattan.

Iíve only done one day with Sportbike Track Time; they seem ok. Iíd also recommend:
http://www.desmoindiana.org/
http://www.nesba.com/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: .....

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDuck23
SvBob, what I'm renting is basically a cargo van (probably a little bigger than it needs to be because my brother is probably not going now). It has one of those nice ramps that is so handy when you have to move your sister every 6 months.
Your point is well taken, but I'm going to be surprised if the incline is tight enough to bottom the bike. We'll see.
Your suggestion is probably best ...... find a few dudes to provide a helping hand.
BTW, SportbikeTracktime.com has a few track days at Putnam (mid state, west side, right?) , which wouldn't be that much harder for me to get to than Gingerman (from Chicago). How's the track for a newbie track rider?
Take a milk crate or some reasonable facsimile thereof and put it to the side of the ramp right at the back of your van and use it as a step so you won't have to be on your tippy-toes and trying to balance the bike at the same time while you are trying to step up into the van. You might be able to start the bike and let it power itself up the ramp while you are guiding it from the side.....worth a try.

Or you could buy a full size long bed pick-up and install one of these.............. www.pak-rak.com

Last edited by desmo079; 04-26-2002 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode