Critique of Calif. Superbike School, level I, II - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Critique of Calif. Superbike School, level I, II

On Mar 30,31 I attended CSS at Streets of Willow, levels I and II.

What I would like to do is tell you about the experience and not so much the training drills, because that has already been covered, but rather, the experience itself, in case anyone is thinking about putting out their hard earned $ and wants to know what to expect.

First of all, you can only do one level per day. So, no matter how fast you ride, you still can't get more that one level done per day.

This is an exhausting experience, both physically and mentally, so make a maximum effort to be very well rested.

There is a tech inspection at the beginning of every day. I was informed that my chain was too tight, so I had to loosen it before I could ride. They also set your tire pressure for you, according to you tire brand. 208s 29rear, 31front.

ALL staff are polite, helpful and professional.

During the lectures, Kieth Code will not be ignored. He sensed someone was not paying attention and called them on it. What kind of idiot would not pay attention in a class where he/she paid so much $ for I cannot imagine.

He is, however an EXCELLENT teacher.

There were a few students who had some rather awkward questions and he did a very good job of getting them to further explain their concerns, so that he could give them a helpful answer.

What really blew my mind was that on the second day, we had a different class room instructor and after the first track session, a student said he felt he was going backwards as far as his progress was concerned. A few minutes after the classroom session Kieth Code himself was talking to him one-on-one about what could be done to help.

In Level I Kieth Code does all of the classroom instruction. In level II he did some of the class instruction along with his partner Cobie. Both are EXCELLENT teachers.

For on track instruction, you are also assigned an instructor. About one of these to every five students or so. They will observe you and then pull in front of you and give you hand signals pertaining to the exercise prior to the track session. They will sometimes signal you to follow them. They do not try to lose you but rather set a pace that is challanging, yet leaves you with enough attention left to observe there line through truns.

There are three groups. While you are in the classroom, one is out riding. Once you are out of class, you have about 20 min of "recess".

There are 5 track sessions and 6 classroom sessions.

During one of your "recess" periods, you are to do one "offtrack" riding exercise. Level I it is the steering exercise. Level II is the "lean bike".

On Sunday, before I was about to leave, I was approached by Cobie and then Stuart (the offtrack instructor) and was asked about how I liked the school.

Also, each day one of the instructors was given the job of quality control. Youy were regularly asked about the performance of your ontack instructor.

As far as measuring results, a transponder is attached to every bike to measuer lap times. My first session of sat. rendered a best lap of about 2min. 16 sec. My last session on sunday rendered a 1min, 56 sec.

I got the impression that they don't ANYONE leaving there dissatisfied and they are willing to do almost anything to accomplish that.

Needless to say, I highly recommend CSS.

May 1,2 I hope ot attend the R.A.C.E. school at Streets. If I go, I'll let youk now how that went.

Last edited by desmo079; 04-03-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:03 PM

Dang Des,
I'm gonna have to wait till I get home to read your post...its
too wide to read at work.....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Please try it again. I deleted the pic.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:19 PM

Hey Desmo.......

.......... I was there for level 1 too. You were the guy with the electric hoist in the back of your pickup, right?
FWIW, I basically concur with your eval. with the addition of how pleased I was with the instruction. I have trained myself into some screwy body positions, and Mike (my instructor) did a good job in emphasizing this as an obstacle to coordinated turns.
I was impressed by the way they organized their notes to make sure they kept track of who was doing what. Did you see the duct tape on the tops of their tanks with the copious notes?
I also recomend the school highly.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:00 PM

How much was it?

Nice improvement Lec and good post too BTW.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus

Nice improvement Lec and good post too BTW.
Ditto.....glad to hear good things about CSS again, thanks for
the post...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hey Desmo.......

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDuck23
.......... I was there for level 1 too. You were the guy with the electric hoist in the back of your pickup, right?
FWIW, I basically concur with your eval. with the addition of how pleased I was with the instruction. I have trained myself into some screwy body positions, and Mike (my instructor) did a good job in emphasizing this as an obstacle to coordinated turns.
I was impressed by the way they organized their notes to make sure they kept track of who was doing what. Did you see the duct tape on the tops of their tanks with the copious notes?
I also recomend the school highly.
Yeah, that was me and my pak-rak. I have a few bad habits myself. What did you think of Streets of Willow?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
How much was it?Nice improvement Lec and good post too BTW.
Thanks.

$2675.00 plus tax and installation. Oh, you mean the school. $395/day with your bike, $595/day with their bike.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Cam. Here's the pic.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 05:32 PM

Thought that was you .......
Since it was my first time on a track I don't have anything to compare it to, but I liked it alot. (turns 7 & 8 were my favorite ....... 8 was where the dude slid off, right?).
As you mentioned, a full day of that and I was toast, but I got up Sunday morning wishing I was back there for another full day.
I'm thinking about a level 2 at Road America, but that 4-mile track (I'm not afraid to admit), scares the shit out of me. Do you know if they actually use the whole circuit for the school there? It seems like that would be tough.

(btw, this is RedDuc23 from my laptop and I was the guy that came up to your truck and said something to the effect "someone always has the cool toys" .... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode