The pre-race mechanical eff-ups have started! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

The pre-race mechanical eff-ups have started!

Well, I removed the rims and took them to a shop for tires. Was gonna bolt them on and take the bike out to scuff em a little. Do some testing and tinkering with the bike (suspension needs a lot of work!). Well don't you know that the upper caliper bolt on the rear caliper was cross threaded previously so now she is effed up. Tried to go buy a tap to take care of it, but alas, the shops that would have one were closed. At least I am finding this now with days to spare, but the shite is already happening!
Anyone else having "issues" like your front fender not arriving in the mail yet?

Last edited by funksouljon; 03-20-2002 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:05 AM

Cross threaded caliper and errant fairing. Ouch!

So far, I'm not quite to that extent... but I feel like it's just waiting to bite my a$$. Plus there's a strong sense of fragmented disorganization.... pieces supposedly coming together from 3-4 sources.

Got my wheels back with the new race tires on, but not balanced. Have to mount them to the bike so get it to the track, so I can dismount them there to get them balanced.

My simple bike transport fell through so I have to face going up my springy wooden ramps for the 1st time. Probably harder to come down them, though, which I've already done once. Slow and careful or fast and dirty? Tape at 10pm.

Got my list cranked up and am stacking piles in the garage.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
still no front fender here either.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:57 AM

I feel like promising the track gods that if I ever get this bike through tech successfully, I'll never change anything again.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Actually Joss, I have 2 front fenders. It's the only piece of bodywork I am NOT deficient in! It was more a poke at John cause he is impatiently waiting by the door for the postman to show up with the fender and steering damper.
Don't worry John, the postman always rings twice!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 09:24 AM

Gosh Jon. I'd be a'skeerd to poke "get ready" fun at anybody, knowing what pranksters the track gods might be. My own precarious hold on "nearly ready" is to damn iffy.

You have to play real careful there. Example: I have a belly pan on the way from another GS500 racer I've never met or even spoken to except via email. Will he make it or leave me hanging? Who knows?

So last night, as a sacrificial offering, I went to Kroger and bought not one, but TWO HD roasting pans. Cost me dang near $8. So what happens? I get an unsolicited email from my guy this morning that he has MY belly pan finished and it looks even better than his!

Poor ol' John was still waiting on steering damper too.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:02 AM

The fender arrived yesterday and I painted it last night. Will install tonight and get the wheels back on and wired. Time to pack up for tomorrow's trip. YooHoo. Now if my truck will only hold together for the trip.

Mounted the damper two nights ago.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:05 AM

Knockin' on wood, Bubba!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:31 AM

Heres one for ya: A buddy of mine bought a wrecked Duc 996 and spent the winter rebuilding it as a dual purpose street/track bike. He was going to meet a few of us at a friends house then take it out on it's maiden day-ride. I hear him coming up the street and go outside to have a look. He pulls into the driveway and gets off the bike, flushed and not looking good. He points at his wheel. Apparently he was on the highway, a few minutes from us, doing about 100, and he applied the brake. Unbeknownst to him, the bolts holding the right caliper had backed out. A soon as he pulls the lever- KAPOW- the caliper flies off the rotor and is now hanging by the brake line, banging against the rotor and wheel. Luckily for him the caliper didn't come off, injuring him, bleeding his brakes, and getting fluid on his front tire at 100mph!!!

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake
Heres one for ya: A buddy of mine bought a wrecked Duc 996 and spent the winter rebuilding it as a dual purpose street/track bike. He was going to meet a few of us at a friends house then take it out on it's maiden day-ride. I hear him coming up the street and go outside to have a look. He pulls into the driveway and gets off the bike, flushed and not looking good. He points at his wheel. Apparently he was on the highway, a few minutes from us, doing about 100, and he applied the brake. Unbeknownst to him, the bolts holding the right caliper had backed out. A soon as he pulls the lever- KAPOW- the caliper flies off the rotor and is now hanging by the brake line, banging against the rotor and wheel. Luckily for him the caliper didn't come off, injuring him, bleeding his brakes, and getting fluid on his front tire at 100mph!!!
Ducati riders are such dumbasses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode