Racebike Update... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Racebike Update...

OK Folks, just to keep you current:

(Baby = '92 Suzuki GS500 race/track bike)

Daddy brought Baby home last week. Daddy & Baby are doing fine.

Baby is now stripped down and pretty much all wired up. She does need new shoes for the track and two highchairs; one for her back end and one for her front end. The "tasks of the moment" are to get a damper (steering) on her head, and a diaper (bellypan) on her bottom. Later, I may do some surgery to help her breathing a little.

Of course Daddy needed to get a new suit to wear when showing Baby off, as Daddy had nothing really suitable should Baby get cranky and toss Daddy on his a$$. (Kobe from Fastlap)

Daddy is signed up for the Ed Bargy class at Roebling Road (Savannah) on 3/22/2002 (next Friday). YESSS! WERA racing to follow successful completion of that activity.

The wooden planks with the the aluminum ends (one for me and one for the bike) will DO the job, but it is a circus. They are nice and straight till you load 'em. Then they sag like wet spagetti. Just as entertaining are their independent wagging. I have a much better appreciation for Hannibal's accomplishment in getting hs elephants down from the Alps now.

Daddy has already succumbed to trying Baby out on the relatively "quiet" freeway near the house... just a little. First time was without any mirrors. Duh! That was tres DUMB. Absolutely AMAZING how useful mirrors are when wearing a full face helmet. I could only change lanes with total fatalism... "Well if today is the day I am supposed to die..."

Daddy is currently sort of shocked at how many money sucking things lie just over the horizon.... so he's gonna take a little nap now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 10:31 AM

BTW, Handy Industries has some of the best prices for front and rear stands. Good quality too. The steering head front stand comes with 5 spindles which will allow you to use it for the ZX-6R and the GS500(assuming they use different sizes).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 10:37 AM

How about putting the upgrading of baby's... um, er.... legs? (suspension) near the top of the list. I imaginge she's gonna "walk" quite a bit differently from your other "child". I would think you would notice this first when she's on the track.

I'm no expert. Don't have any track babies yet... Still using "protection" for the moment.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on Handy Ind. John I'll Check it out.

Legs... I forgot to mention, Tigertex. New progressive springs in the front and old stock shock in the back. Complete tune-up, brake flush with ss front line (brakes feel real nice).

The "feel" compared to the ZX-6R is really not too bad. The 6R obviously "feels" wonderful, but it is hard to tell how much of the difference in the GS500 is just the ten years and the 10,000 miles it came already loaded with.

To me, it feels like I know where it is going and what it is doing, but I really haven't pushed it hard either. The rear tire is, honest to God, squared off in the middle. I've heard people talk about that but sort of thought it was an exaggeration. Unh-unh.

The short term plan, past where I am now, is to see what the track has to say. Do minor stuff and ride as much as possible. Long term is to keep the mods to this bike minimal and let Daddy see just how much of a high speed - low drag wannabe he is. If his ability matches his imagined jock size I think he'll trade up for a faster model rather than doing any major surgery on this one.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:32 PM

If I see you at the track baby-talking to your bike I'll be forced to bitch slap you.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

If you could do it reaching back, over the front seat, and say "Shut your damn mouth or I'll pop you again," it would just make me homesick as hell.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
If I see you at the track baby-talking to your bike I'll be forced to bitch slap you.
LMAO!!

There will be no bitch slapping... maybe a little tickling but no slapping.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 06:21 PM

Quote:
So to a bike it's wrong, but a pig ir's fine?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 06:26 PM

There's a fine line between baby talk and pillow talk...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 07:19 PM

Quote:
There's a fine line between baby talk and pillow talk...
I like to think of it not so much as a fine line but more like a really fat gray line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode