Sportbike World banner

Desert Motorsports

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  badchad 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with Desert Motorsports?

I visited their shop in N. Scottsdale / airpark, and they seemed like a stand-up operation.
I am new to the area and am needing some qualified opinions
:)

Any feedback would be great.

#2 ·
They will stick you with Freight & Set-up and do everything they can to come up with "problems" that need to get fixed on your trade...I'd recommend checking out Apache Kawasacki/Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki...either that or Kelly's Kawasacki...

Just my opinion, but I'm not a Motorsports group fan (Desert is better than Town & Country from what I've heard).

#3 ·
Desert, Town & Country, and Metro motorsports are all owned by the Arizona Motorsports group. They all SUCK. If you want to buy a bike from one of them, expect to be without your bike for extended periods of time. 2 weeks for a tuneup is not uncommon with them. I would say go to YSA, Kelly's, Dirt & street, or Az Powersports. While they may not be MUCH better, its got to be better then someone from the Arizona Motorsports group. Either that, or buy a used bike, thats already past the "Lemon" stage.

#6 ·
The only guy worth dealing with at Desert Motorsports is Pascal in parts. He's my homie. I swear, I'll have him racing that gixxer by next season. He'll spend one season as amatuer, get his 800 measley points, move to expert, and then he'll get his AMA license. He said he really doesn't want to do that, but I think I can talk him into it.

#11 ·
I understand you weren't covering and I apologize if that is what my post suggested.

It's amazing that the people that are considered to be stand up people are the biggest pieces of (fill in your expletive). What seperates the the bottom of the barrel dwellers and the ones that rise to the top is the truth.

It's unfortunate that once the truth eventually comes out the damage has already been done, one way or another.

Just my $.02 on the deal.

Karl

#12 ·
Buy used

Its been about 8 months since I bought my brand new 2002 YZF 600 from metro and Im just now finished healing from backside buttpounding they gave me with set up fees, gas fees, (optional) butt lubricant fees, ect... I think I walked out the door with my bike for only about slightly under $10,000. A month later I ran into Zoom who purchased his 2001 for less than 1/3 the price. Or I could have bought the 2000 - 2001 R6 for about 4,500 - 5,000. Then it would be broken in anyway. Thank God I wrecked my YZF so I got the ins. money just about - 400 which is a good deal. The point is, is that I will never be suckered into buying new again. BUY USED!!! By the way does anybody have a 2000 + R6 or similar bike to sell me w/out set up fees or doggystyle deals.

#13 ·
Re: Buy used

Homer J. said:
Its been about 8 months since I bought my brand new 2002 YZF 600 from metro and Im just now finished healing from backside buttpounding they gave me with set up fees, gas fees, (optional) butt lubricant fees, ect... I think I walked out the door with my bike for only about slightly under $10,000.

The point is, is that I will never be suckered into buying new again. BUY USED!!! By the way does anybody have a 2000 + R6 or similar bike to sell me w/out set up fees or doggystyle deals.
Yesterday I went over to Metro Motorsports on 61st Ave and Bell to check out prices for new tires for my 89 ex500 and check out the 02 zx6r.

First, the service guy was really cool, it's hard to find the proper size tires for a 13 year old bike. Not in stock either. :( What's a fair price to pay to take your bike into the shop and have them put new tires on (take wheels off, tires off, mount tires, mount wheels)?

Next, I asked the salesman about the 6r, and he showed me the 7r which was marked down to $6999. Um, dude, 6r. Apparently no 6r in stock to show me. Proceed with high pressure sales pitch on 7r. Not very pleasant. Anyway, they quoted me an OTD price on the 7r of $9400. That's "$2,500 off MSRP".

I am surprised that they won't allow test drives either. How is a person to determine whether they want a 6R or an R6 or a F4i, or an R1 for that matter, if they can't take the bikes out for a test drive?

Is it common for people at the Pavilions to "swap bikes" to take someone else's bike out for a spin to see if they like it? For example, leave my old EX500 with you to test out your 02 R6?? I would guess the answer is HELL NO? So how can a person compare?

It's inconceivable to me to buy a vehicle without comparing among the choices... before buying my car, I read all the reviews and did the test drives, and MY favorite was not the favorite of the magazines or the other people I know. If I was forced to blindly buy, I would have relied on the magazines and played safe and picked the "approved" one rather than what ultimately is my favorite?

I haven't called around to the other dealerships, I guess I'll have to check out Apache next weekend to see what their deal is. My impression is that Metro won't be getting my business if I buy new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.