Sportbike World banner

Have you ever.....

801 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  4611 
#1 ·
I know sportbike riding is MOSTLY about riding the twisties. It's definately one of my favorite pastimes, but have you ever drag raced your bike, either at the track, or all out against another BIKE on a closed road????My buddy came down from North Jersey last week, and we had a drag on one of the backroads...My heart almost popped!!!Haven't had an adrenaline rush like that in a LONG time...How about you??????

#2 ·
Every now and again it's fun to line 'em up and let her rip. Get a nice flat, straight road and run till the nerves or gears runs out.

#3 ·
I have gone to Sunshine Speedway 1/8th mi. track and the best I could do so far is 7.51sec@101mph. It was fun and there were usually about 20 sportbikes there. 15 dollars for 7 runs. It was a blast! there was a guy with a 1200 bandit that was hitting high 6's but he had his front end strapped down and was GOOD off the line. track is alot different(stickier )than street.

#5 ·
I've not had the opportunity to run another bike head to head drag racing. Most of the time I'm challenged it's by a guy in a modified import like a honda, toyota bmw etc.
As it's been stated before by someone else, I think they just want to see how fast I am not if they could beat me. Most of these guys know our bikes are just too fast. There was a late model Mustang with NOS that really gave his all. He spent too much time @ the start, spinning his wheels to be competative but he was fast. I'm not very good @ leaving so I'm pretty sure a better rider will smoke me if he can leave well. I have trouble keeping the front end down. I'm always hoping to get the rear spinning a little because it makes controling the wheelie easier. How do you keep from have the tank slap you in the chest?:confused:

#6 ·
To launch a bike off the line successfully, you need to be "kissing the tank", and slip the clutch as you rev the engine. I had a (for real) 400 HP supercharged fox body mustang, and had quite a bit of practice launching. My buddy hoisted his front wheel, but still managed to take me by a bike length.. He and his bike are about 75 lbs lighter than me and mine. I think the magnesium rims help too!!!!It is fun though!!!!!!Jimmy G

#7 ·
Oh Yeah!!!

As a matter of fact i was just at the drag strip last weekend. It was the first time racing my bike. I used to run my 70 Challenger until i sold it. The only problem with our strip is that you have to stay below 120mph if you don't have leather pants. So needless to say all of my runs were in the high 11's at 118mph. I decided to go all out on the last run no matter what the concequences. The last run was 11.3 at 126mph and when i got my time slip the nice lady informed me i needed to wear leathers before i could race again. Oh well it was worth it. My reaction time was ok at .689 sec More to come in the future!!!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.