Sportbike World banner

Falco First Impressions.

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  racerxlilbro 
#1 ·
I JUST got back from my first demo ride on a 2002 Aprilia Falco.. black/silver combo.. The bike was still restricted but still could tell it had plenty of the power and torque I need. The farings around the nose of the bike.. well I'll just have to get used to steering and not "seeing" the forks and wheel move too.. I was not overwhelmed with joy on my first ride. Though I still want the bike..

Curious.. what were your first impressions.. and what bike were you coming from? I was coming from a Honda CB1000 1994...
Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
Falco

Well, Pyrus - guess it depends on what bike you're coming off of. For me, it was an SV650 and the Falco just felt a lot more planted (particularly on the fast sweepers) and refined. I was not blown away by the engine initially. It felt quicker, but not GSXR-1000 awesome or even close.

Those stock cans were way too quiet. This is an engine you have to derestrict, add some cans and probably a chip and or / airbox mods to bring out the character of it. Stock vs.modified in this manner, it's Jekyll and Hyde if you get my drift. ;)

#3 ·
I hear ya. I've read just about 100% of this Aprilia forum and I like the reaction all of you have had with the bike. So trusting that for one.. with what I love in a bike.. and knowing there's always a short adjustment period (plus modifications, of course).... I just see myself getting this bad boy really soon..

#4 ·
I probably have one of the highest mileage Falcos around (24K)- It's been very reliable (warped the front brake rotors after a year, stock clutch slave replaced after 2). As far as handling - the bike responds VERY well to mods: Should you buy one, by first/best recommendation is to replace the stock rear shock with something worthy of the rest of the bike, even if you just buy a used RSV unit off of eBay (fits right in). If not, rais the forks up to the 4 lines showing and turn the rebound adjustment on the rear shock up close to full on (I was 1/4 turn out). It'll turn MUCH better.

The next thing is to dump the stock Metzeler Z3's for better rubber. They're OK, but lazy steering. Good thing they don't last too long. If you're aggressive, Metz M1 Sportecs or BT-010s (BT's have an edge in life on the street, though the M1s are more aggressive for street/track), or BT-020s for better mileage without sacrificing too much grip.

Scott :)

#5 ·
Thanks Scotteq... btw.. anyone out there have a good insurance company..err.. cheapest one to cover what needs to be covered when doing some financing?.. Progressive was around 2k a year. a bit steep if you ask me. incl.. comprehensive, collision and liability..

#6 ·
Pyrus said:
Thanks Scotteq... btw.. anyone out there have a good insurance company..err.. cheapest one to cover what needs to be covered when doing some financing?.. Progressive was around 2k a year. a bit steep if you ask me. incl.. comprehensive, collision and liability..
:eek: :eek:

I agree, Pyrus. That's steep. I'm paying $680 / yr. with Farmers, full coverage. I just insure my bike with the same agent who insures our house and cars. The company seems to pay no attention to what kind of bike it is (my proof of insurance says "Motorcycle: Other" because the Falco's evidently not even in their computer), goes strictly by displacement, and of course your driving record.

#10 ·
Re: First post on this forum...

racerxlilbro said:
The first Falco I rode had pipes and chip, as well as pirellis...

When I first got mine, it was fun...but nothing compared to the tester...

Then I derestricted it...put pipes, chip...Woo Hoo!
Racerxlilbro,

How 'ya doin. bro ? I'm the guy who stole your blue Falco and stealthily returned it to your garage. (Remember the thread on the Aprilia Ridersite ? ....they never activated my password. Screw it, I'm happy here anyway).

Welcome to the boards here - the Aprilia forum is pretty quiet usually, so the more the merrier. :D

Blue '01 Falco with Renegades

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.