Helibars - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping someone could outline the pros/cons of Helibars. I have a 96 Honda F3 and have been considering them for a while (I am about 63). The problem is, I have never seen them in use, and it is not clear from the web site if they will be very helpful.

They say that nothing needs to be changed from stock; is that true? As well, for a tall rider well over 6 feet is this something that will even make a difference? Finally, is there any downside in terms of handling? Will my bike have a different personality in the twisties? I would appreciate any advice that people have about this. Thanks.

Skylar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 03:47 PM
Just a girl

Hi Skylar,

I don't have them, but my husband has Genmar bar risers on his VTR. Genmar are similar to Helibars but less expensive, I think. Anyway, he is 6'4" tall and they really help him on long rides. He usually rides with them on but does take them off when we head up to Deal's Gap to ride in the twisties. They are easy to put on adn take off and he didn't have to change anything from stock, just add the risers and a little cap on top. The one negative thing I can think of off hand is that when he has them on, he sits more upright and gets a little bit more wind turbulence. The sitting upright helps him be more comfortable, but you trade that for extra wind pressure.

Hope that helps!

Stacia
'00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 06:06 AM

Thumbs up

Riding comfort on my '99 Ducati Supersport improved quite a bit after installing Heli-bars. I routinely ride 200 to 300 miles on my weekend rides now without too much strain whereas before, those distances were almost intolerable. With the stock clip-ons I felt like I was locked into one position all the time but the Heli-bars allow me to move around and spread the workload to different muscle groups. It wasn't a radical change in bar position and the handling actually seems to have been improved a bit by the extra 2" in overall bar width - the Duc steers kind of slow so the extra leverage helps. It took me about 2 hours to swap them on and make all the adjustments to the levers. Any downside? The brackets on my remote reservoirs needed a little tweaking to clear the inside of the fairing which took all of 5 minutes. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that they don't look very trick, but it's a very worthwhile trade-off.

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode