Sportbikes For Sport-touring??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
I've always asked myself this question. How sporty can you go when you're sport-touring? I've always thought that nothing less than a VFR or Bandit style riding position is mandatory if you want to sport-tour. Why? I sport-toured on my ZX11 before and even though everyone considers the bike a "sport-tourer", it sure didn't feel like one after a couple of hours! Now here I am with a Busa and I'm about to sport-tour on it for a couple of days.

This past weekend, I drove out to PCH along the Central Coast with my family. Along the way, I saw a few bikes that I would never consider as a sport-tourer. One was a ZX12R all decked out in soft-luggage. Another was an old GSXR1100, also with softluggage. I also saw a ZX7R with luggage riding up the coast. I didn't get a chance to talk to the riders but they seem to think those very sporty bikes can be adequate sport-tourers. Certainly didn't stop them from taking a long trip.

So, here I am, planning a sport-tour of the Central Coast with friends. One with a 996(Yes. THAT 996!) and the other a ZX9R, then me with the Busa. All 3 bikes are definitely sport bikes. One extremely so. Are we crazy to take such machines on a 1,000+ mile ride in 2.5 days? I guess I'll find out soon enough. I think I'll be bringing a bottle of Advil just in case!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:45 PM

Hmmm I used to own a 96 VFR 750. I'm getting a new bike. I'm considering a '01 Busa, CBR 929RR or another VFR800 this time. Unfortunately, the dealer doesnt allow test rides. Hows the BUS in terms of comfort?? I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. The VFR was incredibly comfy, but I kinda want some more power. I'll be doing a lot of regular riding, with some weekend cruises w/ my wife thown in. Does the bus make a comfortable mount?? I know that its got a less S/T geometry...esp when compared to hondas amazing blackbird...whaddythink. Would yu get a Busa again?

Oh yeah..a kawi 9R makes an amazing S/T. Great real world bike...very comfy. The 7R on the other hand is a ROYAL pain in the arse ...as is the 996. But hey!! When you're young your back will take amazing amounts of abuse.

e
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:07 AM

I have talked to three guys over the last year or so, one who did a cross country on a CBR600F4, one who did a California to Tennessee on a GSXR, and one who did an Ohio to Oregon on an SV650. So it can be done by ordinary mortals. Motorcyclist mag had several stories over the last few years about long tours on sportbikes. Why not?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
Quote:
Originally posted by qirex
Hows the BUS in terms of comfort?? I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. The VFR was incredibly comfy, but I kinda want some more power. I'll be doing a lot of regular riding, with some weekend cruises w/ my wife thown in. Does the bus make a comfortable mount?? I know that its got a less S/T geometry...esp when compared to hondas amazing blackbird...whaddythink. Would yu get a Busa again? e
The Busa has almost the same riding position as the ZX9R. Just a bit wider around the legs. Suffice it to say it's sporty. Sportier than the XX. Which BTW, is sportier than the VFR. Suzuki made the Busa as a really sporty, Open Class bike. It's handling and suspension is tuned for fast riding in the twisties. Thus, they made sure the rider lay over the front tire to give him great front end feed back. They also gave the Busa lots of ground clearance. So, the footpegs are higher up and set back. The Busa's saving grace is its roomy and comfortable saddle and its protective fairing. Believe it or not, the Busa's fairing controlls the wind so well, the airflow around the rider is smoother than that given by the XX. I've ridden both bikes back to back in the interstates & twisties and the difference is like night & day. Is the Busa a good ST? Depends. For me, two continuous hours on the saddle of the Busa is all I can take before I need to get off and revive circulation. This is enough to cover approx 160 miles between fillups. The Busa does have a big bag seat too, with 4 bungie hooks so putting on a tailbag is very convenient. Would I buy a Busa again? Of course! My riding habits fit the bike perfectly. I use it for weekend blasts in Ortega Highway as well as teaching Vet's & Porsche's a thing or two about REAL power. I also use it on daylong rides out in the country about once or twice a month. It wouldn't be my FIRST choice as an ST, but then again, I only ST about once or twice a year. When I did more long distance riding, I had my ZX11, which was more comfortable than the XX.

In my humble opinion, the bike that strikes the perfect balance between sporty and comfort is Suzuki's SV650S. You sit over the front wheels with your legs tucked up and back, yet the tank is narrow and the reach to the bars is very short. I can sit and ride in that position for a long time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:52 AM

My recommendation to you is think after market seat. A Corbin or Sargent seat will make all the difference in the world. My stock VFR seat was only good for about 350 miles in a day without inflicting real pain. My corbin is good for 500 mile plus days.

I had a friend who had a Triumph T595 with Two Brothers bar risers and a Corbin seat that made a great sport tourer. Most sport bikes can be easily modified into good sport tourers.

Rick
NCVFR
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:58 AM

Smile Sportbikes for sporttouring?

`83 Suzuki 750 Katana,`92 GSXR1100 and now my present TLR have all been used for sport touring.Although,I have to limit my days to about 300 miles on interstates(to make time) or 400 miles on the twisties.Any more than that and the trip becomes painful and no fun.I`m 6ft2in.I use a Wolfman tailpak,Wolfman mini saddlebags(the high pipes severely restrict your choices),and a Skookum pak tank bag that I converted to magnetic.Oh yea,and don`t forget ear plugs,its amazing how much further you can ride with them in.You don`t get as tired while using them.Just because you have a sportbike doesn`t mean you can`t tour on it,have fun.....

I AM CANADIAN
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:10 AM

Smile

I rode about 2400 miles within a few days on my F3 without a problem. Most aches came from my throttle hand.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:59 AM
Pete

After reading about the long-distance travels of one of our old-time members, Keith B (though he hasn't been around lately), on his GSXR750, nothing surprises me anymore.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:01 PM

the guy I bought my bike from did a Edmonton to Seattle to Edmonton trip in a week on the 88 gsxr , a bike not known for comfort. Why? to meet girl of course. He survived but barely.

He now has a zx9r that I rode for a couple hours last summer, and I think it would make a excellent sport tourer, with the emphasis on sport.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 04:08 AM

Make Anything a Sport Tourer!

I have two bikes set up for sport touring, a Kawasaki ZX-11 and a Ducati 916.

The Kawasaki needed Heli bars, a Corbin seat and Lindemann revalved forks before it was ready for 500 mile days. The most I've ever done on it was about 1100 miles in a day, and it was perfectly comfortable.

The Ducati needed Heli bars, a Karbarcher seat and Ventura rack/luggage system. It is not good for 1000+ miles a day, but does fine on 500 mile days.

Another trick to comfortable sport touring is to pack light. When I wear my leathers, I can pack a weeks worth of stuff in a small tank bag and tail pack. I used to use saddlebags, but after a few 3000+ mile trips, I figured out that I didn't use at least half the stuff I brought along, so I don't bring it anymore.

Ray

Minnesota Sport Riders Hook Up @

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride Your Own Pace!
mnhsta.freeservers.com/

Fast toys, and fast rides lead to stories!
www.users.uswest.net/~kkang/Ray%20Page.html

Last edited by MN 916; 04-05-2001 at 04:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode