Longest Ride on a CBR600? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Question

So, I'm planning to take a really long ride this summer: 6300+ miles from Sacramento to the Honda Hoot in Tennessee and back. I know it's gonna be hot and we'll need luggage and a more comfortable seat, etc.. Do you have any other tips for riding my F4i that far?

How far have you guys gone on a 600 that's not targetted for sport touring?

-- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 10:16 AM

Back in '88 when I rode my 88 Hurricane 600 from Charleston,SC to Iowa straight through it was in early Aug. and it was hotter than hell out. I didn't drink enough fluids while I was riding and ended up pretty dehydrated. So drink plenty of fluids.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:41 AM

Have a good time and tell us how much fun you have!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Dad

I think I can help on this but don't have time right now. It could get lengthy... OH NOOO! In the mean time, what is your experience with trips this far, any, a little, a lot? What equipment do you have? Riding gear? Rain suit? Luggage?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I've only been on day trips before--maybe 5 or 6 hours. We plan to make a short weekend trip before June, though, to do a "dry run" of everything.

I'm looking into luggage now and am leaning towards soft saddlebags and a tailbag. Any recommendations? I'm looking at some by Cortech(?). I already have a tank bag for the essentials (music, maps, snacks, etc.).

I'll probably pick up a Camelback so that I can drink water while I'm riding. Since my bike only gets about 120 miles per tank, we'll be stopping somewhat often anyway.

I currently only have a First Gear jacket, but probably would like something waterproof...and something for my legs. I've been thinking about the DragginJeans (kevlar re-inforced jeans). I want to be protected, of course, but also want something not too hot. I kinda think a back protector would be a good idea too. Is this too much?

Thanks,

-- Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 01:57 PM

Get some good raingear that is easy to get on and off, and don't forget about waterproofing your boots and gloves. Stay flexible about your schedule and stop when you get tired. A cell phone is a great idea. Be sure your bike is in top condition, especially the tires and battery. A multi-tool, like a Leatherman, is nice to have. If you wear glasses, take a repair kit for them. Have fun and give us a report when you get back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by mnevlida

I'm looking into luggage now and am leaning towards soft saddlebags and a tailbag. Any recommendations?
These guys come highly recommended...
http://www.rka-luggage.com/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:09 PM

Red face

I rode almost 800 miles on my old F3. I corbin seat makes the world on difference if you can afford it and don't even think about the ride without a camel back.

I also used helmet speakers at a low volume to keep from going into a daze after awhile. I can give you road conditions from Little Rock, AR to Nashville, TN via I-40 whenever you get ready to ride. E-mail me at [email protected] for up to date info before your trip.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:25 PM

Bring warm clothes...it might be summer but it can get cool...full gloves, rain gear, and extra boots...we went on a trip to mid Ohio last year from MN...needed everything...plus...new clothes when I got there due to a stuck in the mud incident...oops...oh...a syphon tube is always handy too...in case you can't find a gas station...I speak from experience...and it wasn't pleasant!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:43 AM

Think about a gortex riding suit, aerostitch or another name brand. A good one is nearly waterproof, well vented for the heat of the day and warm enough for a cool night. Consider an electric vest if you are going to ride much when the temps drop below 60 degrees, its is better than carrying lots of clothing.

Consider bicycle shorts to wear under your pants/riding suit. They have padded seats which really help on 500 mile plus days. Try not to ride much more than 8 hours a day to allow you body to recover, or ride alot before you leave to build up you endurance. Make sure you stop when tried!!

Good ear plugs and sun gladsses are essential. I almost always ride with out any sort of music, I enjoy the peace and quite. Just for the record I ride about 15,000 miles per year and have done many 1000+ mile weekends. Once I rode to PA from NC on memorial day and nearly frooze in a rain storm going up the shanandoah valley. I only had my Aerostitch with no vest or rain suit. Interestingly it was sunny on both ends of the trip.

Rick
NCVFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode