FJR1300 and others only a year away! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

News is that the FJR 1200, a Kawi sport tourer based on the ZX11 motor and a ST1100 replacement will be in the US next year.
I guess enough people yelled loud enough about the FJR that Yamaha decided to bring it over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 12:43 PM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JDM1200
I guess enough people yelled loud enough about the FJR that Yamaha decided to bring it over!
Woo! Hoo! Even though I bleed green, I love the looks of the new FJ. I remember many years ago looking at the brand new FJ1100 and wishing I could own one.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Great looks and heated hand grips. Nothing like comfort!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 09:46 AM

Thumbs down FJR... I'll pass.

I was all wound up to get a new FJR... that is untill I actualy encountered one this summer in England. While the press has played up the FJR as the ultimate sport-touring machine, the reality is that it tends heavily to the touring side of the equation. Foremost because it is heavy, really heavy. I don't know what the actual weight is but my unofficial rock it up off the sidestand guesstimate would put it at 100-150lbs heavier than my RF900. The position is also much more akin to my father's Goldwing than any sport bike I have ever been aboard. The pegs are quite low, and the bars hover 5" above an already elevated triple clamp. Swinging a leg over the FJR, assuming the position, and hoisting it off the stand, was one of the most disappointing moments I can recall.

I, for one, will wait untill the Kawasaki ZX11 based bike is released, before considering a change in rides. As it stands the Concours is already a far sportier, cheaper, presently available choice.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 09:58 AM

Been there, rode that, got the T shirt.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 09:59 AM

Haven't they been saying that about the FJ for a couple of years now, but found the interest in sports cruisers too soft in the U.S.? As for the ST, I would be shocked if we didn't see a completely new one in the Milan show. Seems like the most widely acknowledged rumor is that overhauls will be made to the ST and VFR.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 11:35 AM

Re: FJR... I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally posted by michael seaman
.....I, for one, will wait untill the Kawasaki ZX11 based bike is released, before considering a change in rides. As it stands the Concours is already a far sportier, cheaper, presently available choice.
The Concours is SPORTIER than the FJR1300?

I always considered the Connie one step below that of a Goldwing. If what you say is true, I think I'll just get the VFR. I can tolerate oiling the chain!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 12:02 PM

concours vs fjr

I didn't get a chance to demo the FJR, but based on position, and heft, I'd take the Concours.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 02:54 PM

Re: concours vs fjr

Quote:
I didn't get a chance to demo the FJR, but based on position, and heft, I'd take the Concours.
I don't know what a Concours is but I can say that the FJR handles very well for such a hefty bike. It's long wheelbase makes it very stable & I felt very secure throwing it through the twisties. Sure, it is no sportsbike but it does well for the market it's aimed at. The only gripe I can really aim at it is the quality of finish. The motor is a peach, very torquey & smooth. The shaft drive is not really noticable and I could go on but I'm not getting paid for this road test !!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 06:19 AM
Pete

Re: FJR... I'll pass.

Quote:
the reality is that it tends heavily to the touring side of the equation.
...as evidenced by the "ape-hanger" handle bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode