Unfaired Tourers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Unfaired Tourers

Never really done any sport touring yet but I have been looking at an FZ1 or FZ6 as my next bike. A year ago I would have told you both these bikes were fugly, but I guess the all business/no bull look kinda grows on certain motorcyclist. The bike only has a half fairing on it. Will this cause me to get tired quicker on long trips or will I be ok. It does have a windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:39 AM

They got a small fairing/windshield. While those do not provide quiet as much wind protection as a fully faired supersport, the more upright sitting position more than makes up for it in terms of comfort. In addition, there are after market windshields you can get that make life even easier.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM

Sport Tourer

Bikes with quarter fairings, like the FZ1 and FZ6, will certainly be up to lighter duty sport-touring use. Some downsides are: Without any lower fairing coverage, your legs are exposed to the elements- rain, cold, hail, etc that can often be encountered on longer trips. These bikes don't come with hard luggage. You can buy it aftermarket, but it's pricey. Soft luggage will do the job, but they're not quite as heavy duty or weatherproof.

Honestly, your existing YZF 600R would make at least as good, and in some respects, a better sport-tourer than the FZ's. I know you can defininitely fit soft luggage on it and I've actually seen posts on sport-touring oriented sites where riders are using their YZF 600's as light-duty tourers.

For heavier duty sport-touring, bikes like the Yamaha FJR 1300 and Honda ST 1300 are a nice step up. Downside- those bikes cost a LOT more than the FZ1/FZ6.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Better on some points I believe, but worse on others. The FZ are not as aggressive as the 600r, however for the easier seating, you drop the full fairing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM

Yamaha offers a lower fairing kit for the FZ1 to give you a bit more protection on the legs. Lower fairing link and also a touring windscreen for better wind protection up top.
If you go with the newer models there is also factory hard luggage (same as FJR) available in europe for this bike. On the older models get a set of givi's for it at half the factory pricing.
This bike is still on my short list.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

They are fuel injected right? You wouldnt know what year they started using FI on the FZ1s would you?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
They are fuel injected right? You wouldnt know what year they started using FI on the FZ1s would you?
06 is the first year for fuel injection. Here is the 06 with lowers, touring screen and factory bags. All accesories can be found in canada and europe, just have to contact a dealer there for shipment. 1st generation models were all carburated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fz1_fullcowling_sm.jpg (17.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by GPZRider; 09-14-2006 at 08:37 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Wow that is pretty sharp with the added fairings. Just wondering if all the extras are worth the price tag. Ideally I wanna go with FI, but the 06s are a bit more than I want to spend.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 PM

THE 01-05 FZ1s are better sport tourers than the 06-07, bigger tank better seat (too soft springs) without fuel injection glitches. new ones benefit from Ivans FCE, 06 more than 07, both are better rides with PClll. The first Gen likes Ivans or Dales jet kits for sport bike snap, both are install and go. Go to yamahafz1oa for lively discussions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode