COMFORT - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 06:11 AM
Squidwannabe

Smile

Plan on doing a trip round trip about 3000k.

What are some thing I can do to improve comfort for long hauls ??

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 09:31 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Fly first class, you wouldn't believe how much difference a foot of leg-room makes. Also, they give you free drinks, better meals, and have the sexy stu's.

------------------
Clark
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 10:56 AM

There are a couple of things that really help the comfort level.
1. A camelback water system for refreshments.
2. Adjust the suspension for comfort and not high speed twisties.
3. Music system.
4. A buddy to ride with and then a Chatterbox to chat with.
5. Get a pair of mountain bike riding pants. They have some extra padding in the right area and will still fit under your jeans.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 10:58 AM

Cool

Buy apair of bicycling shorts to wear under your leathers cause they offer better cushion for those long hauls. Or go to www.aerostich.com and look under riding shorts for apair that is made for motorcyclist.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 10:30 PM
Dad

I am probably old school on this and will look in to the mountain bike pants myself, but I use an animal/sheep skin on my seat (the same one since 1981) when wearing jeans on long rides. It wicks the sweat off your butt in the heat and helps with the cold, too. I don't have it permanently attached so it can be removed and put away if it rains or if you're doing some hard two lane stuff and want to slide around a lot. They are miserable when rain soaked and take forever to dry if they do get wet. I just lay it on the seat (it covers front and rear) and tuck it under my rear bag or a bungee cord on the rear seat. When you get on, position the front and sit down. It stays in position. Even if I stand to stretch, I just put a hand on it and stand up. It stays put. Another thing is a throttle lock. I don't use it all of the time but it is handy, even riding around town, for those moments when you need to scratch something on the right side or give your hand a rest or stretch your fingers. Nothing fancier than a Vista Cruise brand is required which costs about $20.00. I have always had this on any bike that didn't have an electronic cruise or a non-spring return throttle like the OLD Harleys. On my CBR1000 I had to file the control knob down to clear the tank in extreme right lock position but it works great. If you're running interstate, shift around in the saddle and on the foot pegs to avoid one seating position for very long which tends to stiffen you up. This won't be as important early in the day, but will make the end of the day more tolerable so do it right from the start. Once you get cramped or stiff it won't go away until you're off the bike for some time, probably overnight. Also, stop AT LEAST every hundred miles and get off and stretch. This doesn't have to be long (less than 5 min.) but do it from the first hundred when you may not feel like you need it. It makes the later day much easier, same as above. Especially it's at all hot, at each gas stop (approx. 200 miles) wash down your face and arms while your're washing the bugs off your visor, and drink something. This has a way of waking you up and helping you to stay fresh. Don't forget Chap Stick for drier climates and sun screen for exposed skin BUT be careful with sun screen on your forehead or around your eyes because when you sweat it can find it's way into your eyes where it will virtually blind you with the burning sensation. Also, keep a paper towel or use your pants or something to vigorously rub the stuff off of the palms of your hands as it will tend to deteriorate the rubber in a lot of hand grips and other parts if you get it on them. The grips get gummy if this happens. Also, I would strongly suggest not to carry any firearms. State laws vary but most don't allow loaded, concealed weapons and they are more likely to cause you big trouble than help you even a little. I hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dad (edited October 09, 2000).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 01:17 AM
Squidwannabe

Wow,

Thanks for all the great info! RCjohn just when for a little suck ' n ' tuck so I took some leftover's and padded up the ol chariot

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 05:22 AM

See if Gen-Mar produces risers for your bike..$100 but well worth it. i just finished a 4500mi road trip.

handle bar riser's that is

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

[This message has been edited by RACER X (edited October 09, 2000).]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:
Fly first class, you wouldn't believe how much difference a foot of leg-room makes. Also, they give you free drinks, better meals, and have the sexy stu's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLOL!!! How right you are!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
Wow,

Thanks for all the great info! RCjohn just when for a little suck ' n ' tuck so I took some leftover's and padded up the ol chariot

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frenchy, who the hell pulled your chain?

As for your comfort on a bike. Pull your head out of your ass and the bike will be much more comfortable and easier to ride.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 06:49 PM

Hot grips, Corbin seat, cruise control, higher windscreen, Heli modified clip ons, Camel back, stainless steel flasc full of whisky to mix with coke every evening,rain suit, extreme weather apparel, 3 good buddies with their own bikes to go along for the ride, tennis shoes and comfortable civilian clothes for the evenings and for when going to dinner (never anything less than filet mignon from Argentina please); pot is optional. And then leave the thing in your garage and drive your car or rent one if you must!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode