V1 installation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

How do you all carry/mount your Valentine1 on the bike? Tank bag or special mounting bracket? Does it really pick up cops from behind you? It has to pick up the radar through your body, doesn't it? Could you also give me a few do's/don'ts about the V1. It will arrive this weekend and I am ready to try this baby out.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 01:05 AM
Hall Monitor

Thumbs up

I've been looking at the V1 too, but don't have the $$$ for it now. You'll have to let us know how it works. As far as mounting, you may want to try http://www.saeng.com

Hope that helps.

------------------
http://gsxr750.sportbikeworld.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 04:05 PM

I have had a V1 in my car for a while now, ever since I got a ticket for 51 in a 30 zone (a true speed trap). The unit is great and has saved me from more than one ticket since I bought it.

Can't see how you plan to mount it on a bike. It is a rather large unit and needs a lot of power (either a cigar lighter or another type of power outlet). Have you got one?

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

There is a power outlet on the left side of the bike that I will be using. I plan on mounting it to a plate that will sit on the fairing just above the tachometer. I have the audio box, too, and that will feed into my Chatterbox. That way I will be able to hear the warnings. The manual says that it will only draw 400ma. My battery should be able to handle that small amount of drain.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 04:15 PM

Cool. Sounds like you have it figured out to some extent. I guess the unit will be "looking" through your windscreen. Don't suppose you will get a lot of use from the rear facing unit.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it works out!

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Cool

It's done I have mounted the V1 onto the fairing.

I found a plastic license plate holder lying around and just flipped it over and mounted it to the top of the dash. Yes, the V1 is rather large compared to the other brands. I also mounted the remote audio unit with velcro to the brake reservior. It's a perfect match. The wiring was pretty easy, too. I hard wired it in to an accessory wire. The V1 uses RJ11 (telephone wire) and it looks much sturdier than normal wire. I have also plugged the chatterbox into the remote audio. The volume is definitely loud enough, too.If you would like to see some pictures, send me an e-mail and I will get them to you.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 07:35 PM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Has anyone ever tried to mount the Bel 915STiR remote radar detector? I think it can be done.

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

I used to have a Super Snooper remote radar detector mounted on my Katana. The only problem that I always had was the front fender always bouncing up and smacking the detector. Most sport bikes do not have very much clearance between the fairing and fender. I did like the stealth look, though, but it is not near as good as the V1, at picking up radar and it did not have a remote headphone adapter. By the way, the remote was mounted with regular velcro and not that industrial strength velcro. That stuff is crap, it does not hold near as well as the original velcro.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
So, uh, you "on the take", or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode