ZX-6R?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hi to all,
I am kinda new to all this streetbike stuff. Have dirtbiked for a while but am looking at purchasing a newer streetbike for long distance touring and general getaround. Based in Calgary, Alberta right next door to the Rocky Mountains there are lots of great highways to be ridden with twisties. I would like to ride this year just around my part of the country to get experience but 2001 would like to do a Calgary to Fairbanks ride and take the ferry down to Seattle then back home with 2002 would be even longer month ride Calgary to Houston and back. This way I can say I have ridden most of North America north to south.

Here's my question....I have been looking at 96 and newer 600s cant really afford 99 or 2000 but 97 or 98s really stick in there. What would everyone recommend for newer rider , 5'11" 160 lbs so I cant see a 600 being too underpowered...but opinions are being considered. I have liked the 97 Kawi ZX-6R for comfortability and looks.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 06:06 AM
wtempleton

Hi Leslie,it sounds like you are doing it right by starting with smaller local trips first.This will give you a chance to figure out what you need and don't need.Obviously the bike first,and that should be what you feel most comfortable on.Try to test ride them all,or at least sit on them all.Liquid cooling and wind protection are up there on the list,as is at least a 5 gallon gas tank.Then you will need luggage,I like the soft versions put out by Eclipse and RK.Saddle bags and a tank bag should do.I personally have the Eclipse Sportbike saddle bags and an OSI 24 liter tank bag.I can carry 2 pair of jeans 3 t-shirts and undies(this is enough for 4 days,then it's time for a hotel room and hit the local laundry).Plus tent,sleeping bag,air mattress,fishing pole/tackle box,radio,phone,rain suit,chain lube.Don't forget a small spray bottle filled with window cleaner and a couple of rags for cleaning your faceshield.A thumb actuated throttle lock is mandatory.Make sure you have a fresh oil change and fresh tires if you are going 5,000 miles or more.Try to use the new synthetic blend motor oils.....you can go 6,000 instead of 3,000 before changing it.Lube and adjust your chain every 4-500 miles for longevity.Try to leave somebody a general itinerary and check in every 3-4 days to let them know where you are.One more thing........why Houston?If you live near the mountains I guess you get enough of that type of riding but belive me....there is nothing between North Dakota and Houston that is good on a sportbike.Maybe down through Glacier to Yellowstone through Colorado and New Mexico. Or Minnesota through
Wisconsin,Illinois,Kentucky,on down to Florida Panhandle?

------------------
xxman
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Wow!! Thanks for all the great info. I love people who are willing to go out of their way to help others even if its just advice.

Why Houston?? Simple I have a real good friend there that moved down there from Calgary right after high school. Been there three times by plane but I want to do a real trip, last I was thinking was a car one but I think one by bike would be even more fun even though I really aint into the bike stuff fully. On a bike I could really see the country, Yellowstone, maybeRushmore,maybe Colorado( havent decided on route), Wyoming down through Dallas to Houston, on way back would be San Antonio to Phoenix up to Vegas then back home through Salt Lake or Denver.

Answer your question?

------------------

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 05:29 AM
wtempleton

Sure did.I used to live in Houston and the only nice riding in the area is around Austin.But if thats where you want to go.....go for it!Don't let anybody tell you where to go.That's part of the freedom of bike ownership.....get in the saddle and go where you want.If you do get out on a road trip and you come thru Colorado I can give you some great routes to take.

------------------
xxman
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2000, 10:11 AM
sportourider

Question

If I remember right many of the moto-mags have stated that the older version YZF-600 Yamaha (not the R6) was there best vote for a 600cc Supersport machine that with soft luggage would make a great sport tourer!!

Forgive me if I'm wrong due to arthritis and low finances I can't afford or ride any of the modern sport bikes so I'm not 100% sure of my information. The gentelman from Littleton gave a lot of great advise, I'm from Colorado Springs and between the two of us we could keep you riding for week's I'm sure

Also, check out a older Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000) Sport tourer, there a real bargin as they sell for new at only $8,000, cheaper than some 600cc sport machines as used one would even be less. They've been around since 1987, just an idea.

------------------
"All those who wander, are not lost"
BJ Ondo
Colorado
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 09:44 AM

Did you buy the 6R? If so, what do you think? I lived in Houston for a while and have been to Calgary several times. Nice scenery!

------------------
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Actually I have two more steps to finish before I can get a bike. The first is next week I go for bike classes and licensing test. Then the last before purchase is to sell my 67 barracuda.

Then I am looking at 99 CBRs also.

Glad you liked our part of the country. Too bad its not sunny and warm year round!!

------------------
Real Rebels Ride Rice Burners
-so take that, you cellular totin', cruiser riding wannabe!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 03:16 AM

A 600 is fine for touring. I've got a ZX6R and plan on a camping trip next month with my friends ZX11. Then again, we're only going 100 miles or so since it's our first trip.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 06:23 AM

Leslie,

A 6R would be a great choice. I won the 600SS Pro class at Race City Motorsport Park in Calgary in '98 on one. I also changed it back to a street bike between races and commuted on it, and travelled around North Western BC for a week or so. (Watch out for the RC's in Vanderhoof!) I used a tankbag and a tailpack (a high-mount race pipe prevented the use of saddlebags) and carried enough gear for the week. I also owned a '95 6R (same as '97 except for updated frame and forks) and I miss it very much. The '98 is much more comfortable because of a thicker wider seat, a slightly longer reach to the bars, and lower footpegs. It also has a bunch more mid-range and a bit more power on top. I'd just reccomend replacing the brake pads for more bite and a less woody feel. While your in Calgary, make sure you travel the David Thompson Highway from Saskatchewan Crossing to Red Deer. It's often ignored, but a great part of the Rockies, and no too far to do in a long day trip or overnighter from Calgary. If you have anymore questions, just e-mail me! Good luck!

------------------
Gottogo. BYE!

Skip
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 10:25 AM

If you really want a 600 inline 4 - that YZF600R is ace... My buddy has a Ninja 6R and while it's not exactly a torture device - he can't go with me on those 500+ mile trips up to Marin county... :/

------------------
"The woodman does more by skill than by brute force; by skill the pilot guides his storm-tossed barque over the sea, and so by skill one driver can beat another."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode