Trip Preparations - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on taking a long trip sometime within the next two months. It will be about 3300 miles round trip and involve some mountain travel, but mostly the high plains. Besides servicing the bike and all the obvious items, what other preparations should I be thinking of?

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 06:50 AM
Old Guy

Talking

Scotty, you will have fun... I just got back from a Yellowstone to Grand canyon run via Utah.
It gets cold in some parts. Make sure you can stay warm down to the low 50s and have a good rainsuit. Include winter gloves.
Either stay completely covered or wear good sunscreen. You can get very sunburned before you know it.
Take a good camera, carry your cash in 2 different spots and take a spare credit card in case of loss or theft (I've never had a problem, but you never know). Try not to ride much in unfamiliar areas after dark. Watch your gas tank level out there because some parts only have gas stations 100 miles apart.
What parts are you planning to hit?

[This message has been edited by Keith B (edited July 11, 2000).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Keith,
I grew up in Rapid City, South Dakota (yeah, 30 miles from Sturgis ) so this will mostly just be a trip home. I'd like to stay off I-90 as much as time allows, so hopefully I'll be traveling across northern Washington State, Idaho, Montana and down to South Dakota. I just got a gel seat for my bike and I want to really try it out. Is there anything you've done to your gixxer to make it a bit more comfortable? So far I've only gone about 200 miles in one shot without stopping. I guess I'll never win the Iron Butt on this bike!

------------------

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 11, 2000).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 06:05 PM

I just got back from a tour through the Kootenays and up to Banff and Jasper.Another thing,if you go during a long weekend you might be better off to reserve a motel(at least during the long weekend)to insure that you don`t have to hunt for a room.

------------------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 08:51 PM
Old Guy

Talking

Scotty, I was just through there 3 weeks ago. Be sure to ride Bear tooth road (it comes out of the northeast entrance of Yellowstone). I have been through all the CO Rockies and BearTooth is many times better.
I haven't done anything to the bike other than frequent chain lubes with 80-90w gear oil. I just found out (in this forum) that gel insoles should help tremendously with the vibration. Please let me know how the gel seat works for you.
I did move the rear signals back a bit (onto the license plate) so I could have saddlebags AND a passenger.
Have fun on your trip!!

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode