sv650 non-faired at highspeeds... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

sv650 non-faired at highspeeds...

I've narrowed it to the sv650 or the fz6...how is the sv on the thruway without a faring? is it really windy? and..are there clip-ons available for the fz6?
but generaly...what have those of you who've ridden both found to be the pros and cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM

Dunno about the SV but my wife's CB-1 is pretty breezy at speed.

Lots of aftermarket flyscreens available, though. I put one on her bike after riding it 130 cold freeway miles in October.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM

I've been riding a naked sv for the past 4 years. Extended rides (2+ hrs on interstate) are tiring due to the wind blast.
The naked sv is a great bike for commuting to work, back roads and curves, but when I finally take that long trip it will be on a stronger bike with more wind protection.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Six

I've run my SV stock naked, fully faired with clip ons, and it's currently naked with clip ons. Here's my take on wind blast:

naked with bars is brutal: straight up and down posture exposes the chest to the wind and makes long drones an exercise in pulling yourself forward against the drag.

fully faired: much easier to knife through the wind, shoulders, chest and arms ride in a nice little quiet pocket of air; big time helmet buffeting and deafening wind noise as the wind seemed to hit me right at the neck. Reeaallly nice in cold weather and rain to hide behind the plastic...

naked with clip ons: clean wind, and lots of it; the clip ons give you a forward lean and make your shoulders and head the leading edge against the wind rather than your chest. I did a trip from Minnesota to Arizona in late October in this trim, and I will admit the wind blast was both tiring and cold, and I was pretty well geared up.

Have not ridden the FZ6, so can't help you there. Aftermarket clip ons should be relatively universal, as long as you get the correct fork diameter clamps; verify that clutch and throttle cables don't get shortened too much by going to clip ons and you should be good to go.

HTH...

Last edited by Six; 01-27-2006 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
jrm

We've got an 04 Nekkid with a Givi screen that is 8-10" tall ABOVE top edge of headlight. That blocks a good deal of wind and could be added/removed easily, if one really prefered the fully naked look for most of your riding.

Standard bars do put you pretty upright, which my wife loves, but I'd prefer a lower, more superbike-bend bar. Easily changed, too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Six

If you're interested in lower position but want to retain bars and clamps, Clubman makes a set of handlebars that are lower than an under the triple clip on. ~$25 IIRC....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:10 AM

I love my SV naked, but virtually all my riding is on secondary roads - the smaller and twistier the better.

IMO, long hauls on the interstate is one of the very few things the SV doesn't do all that well. At 75-80 mph, I feel I could use more power (but I weigh about 230lbs).

This is not a big issue for me, as I avoid large highways whenever possible anyway. I find riding in straight lines - even fast - rather boring. That's what Goldwings are for.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM

I have the opposite problem as the guy who rides the sv, I have never been on one, I can say however that the FZ6 is pretty good about deflecting the cold and wet crap, the windscreen does block pretty well, if you find it to be too cold, then yamaha makes a taller windscreen. I would advise against going with clip ons on the fz6 as the bars are pretty close to hitting the fairing and tank as it is when at full lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode