gpr steering stabilizer, good & bad - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

gpr steering stabilizer, good & bad

whats up guys, i was wondering about the GPR steering stabilizer, my 2005 ninja zx-6r 636 dosent have a stabilizer on the bike at all, the front wheel is really loose. anyone else feel this way about the front suspension on there bikes?

To live is to suffer, to die is to live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:22 AM

I don't feel comfortable with out one. Its just what I'm use to I guess.

I just love to ride. I doesn't matter what kind of bike it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 02:02 PM

I guess I should have a little heads up on this. I have a Scott's damper, I am in the process of fine tuning the damper. I did have a GPR damper on my 99 R6. The fact that it had the one adjustment for dampening was great. The Scott's is also great for the infintite adjustments. You just have to get used to adjusting the Scott's damper. Or, I need to get familular with the damper. The GPR did tend to leak a little oil. I think both dampers are good, but, I'd have to try both on the R1 to get a good feel for the dampers.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

the reason i like the GPR stabilizer is because of the "User friendly" easy user capability. i have heard that the scotts is a real hard unit to use, it takes a while to adjust and unless you are track racing most people will never use the full capability of it.

i have a buddy that has the same "identical bike" and the stabilizer is easy to adjust and i can really tell the difference between setting #4 and setting #6

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
steering damper?

ZX 6R,
Whats the haps dude? Did you try to dial in your suspension for your weight and style of driving yet? We got a fellow over here on the right coast who is like 6'4" and with some finr tuning the 6 R is a weapon of fun!I havne't heard of any that had loose front ends so far ....air pressure can be important as well...a few tips that may save you some cash you may not need to spemd...but a good damper may be a life saver if you get into stunting....ie slamming the front end down after a cool wheelie....have a good day....
Rodm850g

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:23 AM

Keep in mind this is just an opinion. When I was looking at dampers, the GPR unit ran $360, and the Scotts $404. Scotts has recently been bought by ohlins, which are without a doubt the best name in suspension. With only $44 in difference, I saw no reason to chance an unknown GPR unit. Maybe their quality is good, maybe not. I know Ohlins is going to be top notch. (Yes the damper says "scotts" on top and "ohlins" on the front).
User friendliness:
Scotts does have adjustments you might never use. So dont use them. It also has a few adjustments that I thought were real cool, such as the ability to set damping only in certain degree range (such as say 20deg from streight, with anything over that being undamped) Which I thought might be real usefull in parking lot manuvers.
Even if setting up the scotts unit proves to be a pain in the ass, its a one time thing. Set it, and its good.

To me there is simply not a big enough price difference to justify taking a chance.. Now if GPR sold for $260, I might be singing a different tune.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
To me there is simply not a big enough price difference to justify taking a chance.. Now if GPR sold for $260, I might be singing a different tune.
I agree

I just love to ride. I doesn't matter what kind of bike it is.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Banned

In the dirt bike world GPR is the way to go. They last longer and are easier to adjust "on the fly." They came out with the V3 where the adjustment is right by the left grip. So you don't have to take one hand off the bars to make an adjustment. I don't know if this would be practical for use on the street though. Now that Ohlins bought Scott's, they might be the better buy. Also depends on whether Ohlins is just slapping thier name on it and it's still the same ol' Scott's or they are improving the damper. I guess we will see...

-M-
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I ended up gong with the GPR steering stabilizer, its a gr8 stabilizer, works gr8.

i think that at any rate, the scotts v.s. gpr is not that big of a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering stabilizer.jpg (522.1 KB, 109 views)

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:16 PM

problems with leaking have made me skeered of gpr.. i love my scotts and wont go with anything else.. i love the degree when it shuts off in low speed manuvers..

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode