Any other Z750S owners here? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Any other Z750S owners here?

Just wondering if anyone here has one...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

how about Z1K owners?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 PM

Yes, I have a 2005 Z-750S. I don' t have many miles on it as I just got my tag at DMV today!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I have a 2005 Z-750S. I don' t have many miles on it as I just got my tag at DMV today!
Cool, what do you think so far? Is that your first bike?
I've got a little over 3K on mine now.

BTW, what did you pay for yours? I'm wondering if I got a little ripped off out here in CA.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:12 PM

What I think so far I love it! Nice smooth power delivery which is one of the biggest reasons I picked the Z-750S. Also a less-aggressive seated position is comfortable for more laid back riding. A good medium-sized sport-touring bike is what I wanted (ha-ha, 20 years ago 750cc would be considered a large bike). The smoothness of the inline 4 cylinders was immediately apparent.

Is this my first bike NO. I have a 2003 KLR-650 dual-sport which I've put 11,000 miles on. I'm still keeping the KLR, as it does some kinds of riding very well. I'm glad the Z-750S isn't my first bike because it's pretty powerful to be learning on. My first couple rides I still had to spend some time cautiously feeling it out and respecting it's power.

How much did I pay for it That's between me and the private party seller I found. Yup, I found a used 2005 Z-750S!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear you're liking it.

My Z is my first bike. I walked into a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership and asked a salesguy what bike is good for a beginner. Considering that the selections on the floor ranged between Ninja 636s, the 10R and Yamaha's R1, I can't say he was lying when he told me the 750 is an acceptable beginner bike out of what was available. I think it is probably slightly tamer than a 636, but I haven't ridden one so don't know for sure. They've got the same amount of power roughly, with the Z750 actually having much better roll-on acceleration according to the magazines, but I've heard the Z is less twitchy than the smaller supersport. Think so?

I was very careful at first with the power, but it helped not to be able to exceed 6K RPMs in the beginning. After I broke it in, I've taken it to redline a bunch of times, and there's a pocket there, about 8K to 11.5K that still scares the hell out of me everytime
It's the only band on the tach that feels out of control at full throttle.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 PM

ESanders2:

Everything I've read about the Z-750S said it's tuned for smooth power delivery, with a mostly linear, predictable power curve. Many sport 600cc-sized bikes are tuned for peak power and actually may have higher top horsepower than the Z-750S. The expense they pay is a power curve with hiccups and potholes that either feel dead below a certain rpm range or suddenly go into afterburner. So yes, the Z-750S is less twitchy than many supersports.

Wow, the Zee-7 fiddy was the tamest bike your dealer had??
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow, the Zee-7 fiddy was the tamest bike your dealer had??
Everything they had inside the store were supersports. Later on I noticed they had a 500r outside; I guess that would have been a better beginner bike but I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much, and definitely wouldn't have bought a new one.

I'm curious to ride a 600 supersport now, see what the differences are. I've had a lot of people tell me there's less power at low RPMs, then a large bump higher up--maybe like a turbo car. I guess I've taken for granted how smooth the Z is b/c it's all i know. But there is a definite spike between 8 and 11.5, less linear at least than the rest of the power band.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Z750 is more practical for the street, low-end and midrange power. It just won't have the agility and speed of supersport when pushed hard (with equal riders on board). Plus it's a tad heavier than super sports, but then again it's meant to be as a streetbike.

You'll notice super sports are top-peaky, but will suffer under 3K rpms. Little harder to control on parking lot speed, but transition from side to side is easier at high speed. It takes a little more body control to bring it up from a good lean than a bike with bar-risers (like yours). If you're used to hitting top-end on Z750s, it won't be that radically different powerwise, but 636 has tendency to wheelie at lower gears on full throttle. Top-end on a bike is little different than a turbo car. On turbo cars, when the power spools up, you're basically pushed into the seat. On bike, it's more like spraying nitrous oxide, requires very good reflex/reaction time to guide the bike at that rate of acceleration, and tucking in. Top of that, there's wind to deal with.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 11-06-2005 at 11:45 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Z_Fanatic: That's a good summary of 600cc sportbikes vs the sport-tourers.

I notice with my Z-750S that I'm not as sure in riding as my KLR-650. It's getting better but the respecting all that power keeps me from riding hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode