Any other Z750S owners here? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 PM

Z-750S gas mileage?

ESanders2:

What kind of mpg are you getting on your Zee seven fiddy?

I had my second fillup today and I got 51 mpg.

The fuel gauge was down to one "bar" on the LCD display, and I thought I felt the engine rpms start decreasing at a stop light for no apparent reason. Gripped by panic, I rode into the next gas station and filled it up: 3.22 gallons and 164 miles from the last fillup.

Is that the kind of numbers you're seeing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I only checked my MPG once, when I first got the bike. I think it came out to the low 50's like you're talking about; it was definitely between 50 and 55 mph I know that. That was under moderate riding, under 6K RPMs.

I've ridden my down to the flashing symbol on the gas gauge a few times. One of the times, I must have gone a little too far, and I almost had the engine die on my while riding it. I've been more careful since then. But I'm surprised to hear you had some symptoms of that with one bar left.

Is the 750 a lot more powerful than the KLR then? I don't know anything about the KLR. A lot of the other riders I run into think the Z's 750cc engine means it's in the same category as the new supersport 750s, like the GSXR, but I think it's probably a bit tamer than that. I'm curious to ride a supersport now just to compare them, don't know if i'll get a chance.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
50 and 55 mph
MPG sorry.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2

I've ridden my down to the flashing symbol on the gas gauge a few times. One of the times, I must have gone a little too far, and I almost had the engine die on my while riding it. I've been more careful since then. But I'm surprised to hear you had some symptoms of that with one bar left.

Is the 750 a lot more powerful than the KLR then? I don't know anything about the KLR. A lot of the other riders I run into think the Z's 750cc engine means it's in the same category as the new supersport 750s, like the GSXR, but I think it's probably a bit tamer than that. I'm curious to ride a supersport now just to compare them, don't know if i'll get a chance.
The fuel gauge flashes when it gets low? Okay I must have had more left than I thought. I was in stop and go traffic when I heard the idle rpms lower slightly. Might just have been the motor getting warmer. I didn't have any sputtering or uneven running: I was probably just getting overy antsy.

Yes, the Zee is way more powerful than the KLR-650. The KLR gets 33 peak hp at the rear wheel, and 22 hp at the rpm I cruise at. When I get at highway speed it starts losing more oomph at 60-70 mph and I'm in top gear. The Zee.....I'm at highway speed with a gear or two and rpm range left to spare. Woo hoo!

FYI the Motorcycle Consumer News review earlier this year dyno'ed the Z-750S at 93.9 peak hp at the rear wheel and 50 hp at 6000 rpm. This is close to what peak hp 600cc sport bikes get which is probably considerably less than the 750cc Gixxer. But I'll take the smooth power curve! Makes for a pleasant ride.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Motorcycle Consumer News review earlier this year dyno'ed the Z-750S at 93.9 peak hp at the rear wheel and 50 hp at 6000 rpm
Actually that figure is a little low compared to some other sources. Sportbike Magazine and a few others listed it as 101.(?) at the rear wheel for peak hp, I think torque was 52 lb-ft.

And yes the gas gauge does flash

I really like the digital fuel gauge, it's a nice feature.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Sorry didn't mean sportbike magazine, meant Sportrider. Anyway, here's a different figure from motorcycle.com.

Quote:
Mechanically, the Z750 is a now modern design, with a liquid-cooled 16 valve dual overhead cam inline four pumping out 97 rear-wheel horsepower and 53 foot-pounds of torque on MO's Dynojet dynamometer
I think everybody's numbers vary a bit. If you look at any particular bike you can find some small variations. But the 93 number just seemed low.

What is nice about the Z is that the dyno chart isn't as peaky as a 600, so there's a lot more usable power everywhere.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Ouch, 636 would be considered an animal compared to Z750S.

What I mean is take a 600/750 super sport north of 100 mph and watch it hit the peak rpm, and climb up more, it's scary fast when it pulls. Before that, these bikes are ninnies. Basically, the remaining 60-70 hp comes out all at once.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What I mean is take a 600/750 super sport north of 100 mph and watch it hit the peak rpm, and climb up more, it's scary fast when it pulls. Before that, these bikes are ninnies. Basically, the remaining 60-70 hp comes out all at once.

Just messing with ya'. I believe it, I've looked at the dynos for the 636 compared to the Z750S. The 636 looks like it's struggling until about 8 or 9K rpm when the power kicks in, but it kicks in big time. The Z750S dyno is more linear, there's more power down low, but there's still a freightening amount of it up top too. The couple times I've had my bike over 100 mph I felt like I was in this trance-like zone where I couldn't let off the throttle b/c I was sucked in by all the pull still available to me.

I want to ride a 636 at some point to see what it's like.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 07:45 PM

slow ass bikes.

Silly rabbit, specs are are for

J/K. Forget the data and dyno sheet, you never know how a bike will behave until you ride it. More importantly, the bike will feel completely different depending on how you ride it as you gain experience.

I started on a FZR600, then SV, and now F4. Different bikes, but in essence it's all the same given my style of riding... which is err I meant to go faster .
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:36 PM

New accessory for Z-750S: Corbin seat!

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/z750s.shtml

Corbin has a new seat for the Z-750S!!

The glove box thing had my attention for a second until I saw the price. Gaghkk!! Good thing it's an option, not a must with the seat.

The Zee has power the way I like it: smooth like the skin of a good woman, yet racy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode