Best Sport Touring bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Question Best Sport Touring bike???

My buddy wants to get a new sport touring bike and asked me to help him choose. So, what should I tell him?

He's about 6'1" and 230lbs.

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Re: Best Sport Touring bike???

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
My buddy wants to get a new sport touring bike and asked me to help him choose. So, what should I tell him?

He's about 6'1" and 230lbs.
What type of rider is he?? Aggressive, speedfreak, non-aggressive....etc? I have really come to like the BlackBird and Busa myself. Both are very comfortable, twisties able and fast bikes. But, they suit me because they are still based soley on crotch rockets. He may not want so much speed and added weight. I would take him to ck some of the top lines out, get him to see which he feels more comfortable on then go from there.

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Best Sport Touring bike???

Quote:
Originally posted by sisqo
What type of rider is he?? Aggressive, speedfreak, non-aggressive....etc? I have really come to like the BlackBird and Busa myself. Both are very comfortable, twisties able and fast bikes. But, they suit me because they are still based soley on crotch rockets. He may not want so much speed and added weight. I would take him to ck some of the top lines out, get him to see which he feels more comfortable on then go from there.
I've already planned to spend a day with him visiting local shops. What he's really looking for is a bike that will perform like his old bike (a GSXR 750), but won't put him in such an aggressive riding position (sore back and wrists). He wants to be able to spend an entire day hitting the twisties rather than just an hour or two.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 07:22 AM

I've got a 2000 VFR (pre-VTEC) which I love. It's obviously not as fast as a bird or busa (I test drove them all) but I've found it's just as capable in the twisties and more comfortable. It is absolutely bulletproof mechanically. I threw on some Corbin bags and a Throttlemeister so 10-hour 600 mile days are not a problem. It's heavy enough not to be buffeted on the highway but limber enough to drag parts when you want to stretch it out. I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this, but I'd recommend he try both the bird and the Viffer.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM

If I was to get a sport touring bike, It would be a busa. However if he wants the handling of his 750, maybe he should check out the zx12. It might be abit less comfy (never rode one myself)

Also the ZZR600/1200 might be worth checking out.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I'll agree with Bonk that it sounds like the VFR would fit perfectly.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I'll agree with Bonk that it sounds like the VFR would fit perfectly.
Scott, I can't believe the day has come (again).... You and I agree!!!

The VFR was my first recommendation. It's a great bike in every way... looks, performance, quality, etc. I want to take him to a dealership and have him sit on it, let the bike sell itself.

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Scott, I can't believe the day has come (again).... You and I agree!!!

The VFR was my first recommendation. It's a great bike in every way... looks, performance, quality, etc. I want to take him to a dealership and have him sit on it, let the bike sell itself.
I've tried to find a reason to not like it. I'm not sure why, probably because it's not the fastest, etc. All articles I've read about it or owners I've talked to say it is pretty much a perfect bike. It may not be the best in any one category, but it can do pretty much everything well. For those reasons it's on my list of bikes to test ride when we're in the market again. I like it more and more as I look at it.

I will say though that the XX was one fun bike. Power everywhere, regardless of what gear or speed. During the break in period they told me not to go over 6000 rpms.....ok, 6k rpms on that thing in 6th gear had you into triple digits if I recall correctly. At one point during a commute I looked down at an indicated 130 and about shit because it felt like I was going no faster than 60. Wrestling that big sumbitch through the twisties was fun too.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:47 AM

One of the issues with the VFR is that it simply doesn't get a lot of press in the U.S. It's not the fastest, sleekest, lightest, etc. However, there's a reason it's the best selling sportbike in Europe, where sport touring is taken seriously. It performs well whether on the highway or in the canyon, it is extremely comfortable, worry-free from a mechanical perspective, and I happen to like the pearl yellow.

I have also come to like the linked brakes (I have no plans to take this on the track). Rather than diving under hard braking, the whole bike seems to hunker down and screech to a stop - these are very reassuring brakes in the rain. I found the VFR to be much more comfortable than the busa after just an hour test ride. This is a bike I don't plan on getting rid of until I am 70 and ready for a Wing!

Now, I don't know how this has changed with the introduction of the V-TEC. Maybe he could find a used VFR for a test ride? Again, since these bikes are not in demand like others, maybe a deal can be had.....

It turned out the kangaroo was right.

Last edited by Bonk!; 06-24-2005 at 09:50 AM.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
This is a bike I don't plan on getting rid of until I am 70 and ready for a Wing!
Oh, Smitty is gonna kick your ass for this one!
Quote:

Again, since these bikes are not in demand like others, maybe a deal can be had.....
I hope that is true, 'cause I'd love to either get a VFR or a Beemer some day. I think that Veefers may have a dedicated following, however small, and that may mean that prices don't necessarily go down that much.

Signature unreadable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode