Looking for a new bike... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a new bike...

Hello everyone. I'd just like to start by saying I'm new to the boards, but not new to bikes. I'm 33 and been riding for more than a few years.

I currently have an 01 Suzuki Katana 600. (This was my first Sports Bike) I am now in the market for something newer and more powerful. I have a few needs / desires though, so I come to the community for advice.

Please know that I haven't been to a dealer yet, I'm trying to do my research and be proactive and prepared before I hit the dealer.

I am definitely looking for some sort of sports bike. My personal opinion is that I do NOT like the naked bikes. I prefer a full fairing bike. I ride solo 90 percent of the time, but when my girl wants to go, I need to be able to take her! Whatever I get MUST have room to ride 2 up. finally, I take the bike to work a lot in the summer months. I drive 85 miles each direction to work. (Almost all highway miles, not back roads, but still it's fun to ride the bike!

I'm ready for any reccomendations you all might throw out at me. I want something bigger than my 600 Katana, Keep the price under $12,000. (Should give me a wide range of options, although possibly eliminating a few semi exotics...)

Finally, insurance isn't a MAJOR concern, but I know the Katana is considered a sport TOURING bike, and not a true Race bike. If I can keep the insuracne cheaper by having something in the "touring" category it'll be a bonus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM

You just described the Triumph Sprint ST.
Powerful enough for 2up, comfortable for all day riding. handles well in the twisties, is in the touring catagorie for insurance, and has removeable luggage. What more could you want.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 03:23 PM

A viffer may be another to look at; you need to ride a few you are interested in. Just test the used bikes at dealerships.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
It'd be quite a power jump, but the XX is a hell of a bike for everything you describe. It was also classified as a sport touring bike so we paid about $600 a year through State Farm for insurance.

For riding two up you'll never know she's there. My wife said something to the effect of "it's a moving landmass" when she was on it the first time. It has power everywhere, so don't let it being big make you think it's slow. If I remember correctly it would hit triple digits on the speedo at the top end of second!

As far as being a commuter, I rode mine 65 miles each way every day, managing to put over 8000 miles on it in about three months. It was comfy, good wind protection, smooth riding, and very fun for any twisty bits you may run across.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 AM

I'm a Honda guy so I obviously would recommend the VFR or the XX. I have a 2000 VFR (pre V-TEC) and it would easily meet the needs you laid out for about 2/3 your budget fully decked. I have ridden the XX but not extensively, and have heard it is a fantastic bike for sport touring with the emphasis on sport. The VFR is incredibly reliable, easy to maintain and has built a reputation as being able to run forever. Also, there aren't a lot of them out there so you stand out a little!

As an aside, if you are going to ride extensively two-up you might appreciate the additional power of the XX. My wife is relatively light so I don't notice her on the VFR but she also only rides a couple times a year. If you find a good used VFR you would have cash left for bags, throttle lock, aftermarket can and seat, etc - all the things that make touring more confortable. I got all of this stuff on E-Bay or various VFR websites for a fraction of the new cost.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bonk!; 04-28-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode