Why not much talk about the Interceptor (VFR)? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Dookie Send a message via Yahoo to Dookie
Why not much talk about the Interceptor (VFR)?

Hi all,

I am in the market to buy an 04 Interceptor for the cross between Sport Touring and Sport, and was wondering why not many people seem to be talking about it? Is there something that is wrong with the bike that I should be warned of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:00 PM

I own a 1987 700 VFR and a 1998 800 VFR. Both are excellent sport touring bikes. They are so comfortable that I easily put in several 2,500 and 3,000 mile trips on both. They are great on curvy roads and the highway. I would not consider the 98 VFR a track bike though. The 87 VFR was a race platform in its day and Rainey won the AMA Superbike championship in 1987 on one. Since the late 80's the VFR became more sport touring oreinted and was not a superbike platform.

I only had one problem which was a bad voltage regulator. This was a common VFR problem for a while. I think they fixed it on the newer models.

I bought the 700VFR in 1987 and it still works even though I neglected it by riding just the newer 800. Will never sell the 87 700 VFR. I will sell the 800 only because I bought an MV Agusta.

If you want a sport bike that can go long distance and be fun on curvy roads you can't go wrong. If you want a bike to take to the track you may want to consider something else but I doubt you will find a track bike as comfortable on a touring trip.

"We just want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the Man!"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Dookie Send a message via Yahoo to Dookie
I spoke with a dealer and they said they would cut me a GREAT deal on an 03 Blackbird. Should I get this over the VFR? Remember I'm 6'4"!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Aren't you a brand new rider? Trust me, I owned a '02 Blackbird, and you DO NOT want to start riding on that bike. It is insanely powerful and fast.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Ask this question over at sport-touring .net . There are a ton of VFR owners over there. sport-touring.net

Put yourself in our hands so our voices can be heard, and together we will take on all the world.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:39 PM
UFO

VFRs are great sport-tourers. If you are a new rider just stay away from the XX for awhile. Also, as stated above, many VFR owners over on my site (see sig), you can also find a bunch over at http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

Image ho'ing commencing.

'02 VFR at the base of the Grand Tetons, WY

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 AM

If you are a new rider I would highly recommend against either the 'Bird or the VFR, for all the obvious reasons.

As to why there is not a lot of talk about VFRs, I'll try to answer (bear in mind I wouldn't trade mine in for anything so I don't buy what I am about to say!!):

*Sport touring is not as popular in the U.S. as it is in other parts of the world, particularly Europe where the VFR is extremely popular. Thus, general motorcycle websites don't get the traffic on VFRs that those dedicated to just the Viffer do.
*It is an 800, which is too much for a beginner but viewed as "under-powered" by others.
*For some reason it is considered too "vanilla" because it does everything competently: touring, track days, canyons, highways.
*Most of the 'buzz' around bikes is created by being lighter, faster and flashier. This is not what the VFR is all about, as it is considered an 'adult's sport bike'.

That being said, when you're taking a look at someone else's bike how often are they talking about their 'next bike'? That's not the case with VFR owners, they're talking about where they'll be when the odometer hits 50,000!

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 09:55 AM

I looked in to one last weekend… Took it for a ride (still can’t believe the dealer let me!!!) Liked it very much. I was at the dealer getting a tire replaced. I was there the next day due to a lowside and the sales rep was all over me… Again took it out for a ride (THREE HOUR RIDE Sales rep didn’t care, as far as he was concerned, they had my bike if I took off with it… ) Told the guy that I was debating between the FZ6 and the VFR and that I wasn’t going to buy until the end of the summer. He’s called me 3x per day since… Still can’t decide… Both seem comfortable and have the power and handling I want… I’m still not sold on the big ass front piece on the VFR and I like the styling of the FZ6. It might come down to price: $6500 for the FZ6 and they wouldn’t negotiate or $9995 for the VFR with the sales rep offering me $1500 off the price…

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:52 AM

VFR as a first bike

I have to agree with the rest of the responses. A first time rider has no buisness being on a blackbird. New rider + Black Bird = trouble. As a VFR rider I can tell you that most of us are in the same boat. We tend to be older more mature riders, nothing to prove but still love the thrill of leaning into a curve. As a first bike, it will depend on what type of rider you are. You can tour all day on this baby, curve some twisties and come home safe with a smile on your face. My advice would be to get out to some local demo days and ride as many bikes as you can, then decide.
P.S. There is a reason Honda dosen't have Black Birds at their demo rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 015.jpg (299.9 KB, 426 views)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to torok
I've never heard anything but good things about the VFR. Probably one of the most respected bikes out there. It does everything well. My girl's dad has been in love with the things for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode