LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to daves
Better than a VFR?

Hey Folks; I am the happy owner of
a well ridden 93 Honda VFR-750 and after longing on
31K on the odometer traveling as far as GreenBay Wisconsin;
and New York City a few times over the years, I am looking
for a larger DISplacement REplacement for the 'ol girl.
I love the VFR, it does everything well. Plus the V-Four sound
and the single-sided swing arm always attracts attention, but
the bottom line is...IT'S TOO HEAVY AND TOO SLOW!
The only thing that has caught my eye so far has been the new Duck; A naked V-Twin, Blue w/white wheels, SSSA, and a very
pricey, um, pricetag of 14k. Not gonna happen.........
What can you Sport touring types recommend as the successor for the VFR ??? Why doesn't Honda make a damn VFR 1000 ???

Bastards.

-Viffer Dave[I]

SHUT UP AND RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM

Hi Dave, have you tried borrowing Earl's FZ1? That's a pretty good bike, plenty of power & comfortable. Not to mention the ability to blind oncoming traffic

others to look at: Kawasaki ZX-11, new Honda VFR, Aprillia Falco, and more. If you want to read up on any of these let me know, I have a ton of magazines with reviews on them. Happy hunting

"Road racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Eagan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:49 AM

Dave,

I've seen leftover Futuras go for 11~12K. You'd be picking up OEM hard bags, fully adjustable suspension, a comfier seat and 15+ lb/ft of torque. They also have a SSSA, and 2X longer between valve inspections than a Duc... 600 mile service includes a valve check - Ask for that to be included in the purchase price.

There's also VERY good deals to be had on Falcos, which are more powerful and sportier yet... I have well over 30K on mine and have no plans on trading it in. Again, ask for 1st service to be included in the OTD price.

If the Stealth Fighter styling isn't your thing, you might stop by your Honda dealer and look next to the VFRs at a CBR1100XX. Fast as hell, and IMHO, it's a better tourer than the Viffer is, especially if you ride 2 up. If you can wait, a revised version is slated for 04.

Then ZZ-R1200, FJR1300, on the more Tour-ey side. FZ1's and SV1Ks are excellent choices for all around usage, and there's lots of aftermarket stuff so you can bolt on to mod the bike to taste (esp. the FZ1). The guys that own Triumphs (Sprint and ST) seem to love them, but they appear to be a little more hit and miss - Some are bulletproof, while others seem to have 'issues'...

Scott

It is one of the essential features of incompetence that the person so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:17 PM

Honda's upmarket sport tourers

Well, the closest bigger bike sport touring upgrade to the VFR would be the ST 1300. (V-4 powered)

Sounds like you are on the more sporting side of the sport-touring equation though. Seems like the CBR 1100XX is EXACTLY what you're looking for. I see blow-out deals on these all the time, I don't think the dealers sell many of them. Should be easy to pick one up in the $9000-$9500 range. Used ones are even more of a killer deal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to MidnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightFalcon
Thumbs up

i would also suggest a black bird the riding position is almost identical to that of the VFR or of the 99 that i had i went to a busa cause i didn;t care for the looks of the black bird but i have to admit they are growing on my but i doublt i would trade the busa especally after i put the bar risers on it and a corbin seat i can ride it all day long other ones to look into that i wanted but no dealers near me was the aprilia line very nice bikes from what i read up on never got a chance to saddle one but i hope to some day soon and see what i mighta missed out on
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:10 PM

my next bike will be the FJR 1300...check it out...it rocks...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 AM

Hey Dave

What, not considering the GPZ lol. I would agree on the futura also. dam sexy bike, and we have 2 dealers locally that handle them. The FJR would be my next choice but waitng for more availability. The FZ1 is also a contender, very flickable and light, mucho power, and many accessories for it. I would put on a larger shield and the tcp lower fairing to give it that sport bike look. Go over to www.sport-touring.net and post this same question, you will get probably 10 pages of reply's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode