Nomad to ZZR1200? (double from another post) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Nomad to ZZR1200? (double from another post)

Hello- I posted this in another section but feel it is probably represented here as well. Sorry for the double post.

Nomad to ZZR1200?
Hey guys -
I recently found this site and wanted a few opinions from yous.
I currently have a '01 Kaw. Nomad 1500fi. and have been bitten by the go fast bug. Actually am kind of gettin tired of the go extremely slow on an extremely large land barge thing. I love the comfort of this bike and so does my ball and chain. It performs extremly well for sittin on and hanging out at 75 mph for 600 mile days. But recently have been drooling on a ZZR1200 and was wondering the comfort of this beast for the long haul for myself and my passenger as well. I realize this bike is billed as a sport-tourer, but by tourer do they mean a little more civil than a full out sport bike or can you really sit on it for 600 mile days? Also, how fast is the motor spinnin at 70-75? Irritating buzzes? (I hate buzzes- well that kind anyway) And, what kind of range do you get of the fuel tank?

I think this bike would fit my bill, but I hate to give up the Nomad, if the zzr is not happy with long hauls. Any advice? Keep the nad? Or kick it to the curb and get pshyco?

Am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has rode and/or owned both of these machines(if there is such a person-pretty radical switch), but comments welcome from all.

Oh yeah - I am 5'7

Thanx in advance
Dave Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 04:14 PM

My god this board is dead!!!

Hey Dave, still here? I'm getting ready to purchase a Nomad myself. That bike is awesome!! We currently have a Harley Dyna Low Rider and a Honda VFR (along with a Concours that's for sale) and I feel I can give you a little insight into the difference between a cruiser and sport tour. I love the cruisers for long rides and the sport and sport tours for rides no longer then an hour or so before needing a break. I can ride the Harley for hours and hours. You sit perfectly upright and you can ride one handed with your arm in your lap if you want to, you have floorboards which give lots of leg movement, you can even get a "rider" backrest!

You won't have any of this if you go with the ZZR! You'll have way more power, better brakes and handling in a fairly comfortable package.

If I could only have one bike I would choose the cruiser or maybe a power cruiser. I would miss the sportbike though!!

Mike
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:29 AM

The ZZR is quite capable of 600+ mile days, with a Corbin saddle, and, for your height, a set of GenMar risers. I ride two-up, and log an average of 47 mpg., 50 solo (LOVE those carbs!!). I've not had the pleasure to try a Nomad, so I can't compare 'em, but have ridden "cruisers" in the past and can't stand all the weight on my butt. The Big Z gives a good balance of butt, leg, and wrist weight. It handles like a mid-weight sport bike, and goes like it was tied to a 'Busa...
Riding at 70-75 will give you about 5-5250 rpm, and no buzz (of that kind!). Pillions will complain about the non-insulated rear pegs, but a good pair of boots will remedy that.
To date, there are no worries with this machine, beyond a decelleration wobble that seems to be caused by the stock Bridgestones after 3-4K miles. Replacement (usually done under warranty) with Dunlop 220s (as the '03s come stock) seem to be the remedy.
Best bet? Keep the Nomad, and buy the ZZR too.

Better living through torque!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode