Budget Tank Bags - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Budget Tank Bags

Hey Gang,

I'm thinkin' of getting a tank bag. I'm looking in the Sub-$100 range, so the Rocket Pillow is out. I'm looking for something durable, comfortable to lean on, and recommended by others...

so i've narrowed my choices down to these so far (off the parts411.com website)
Chase Harper - Sport Trek
Joe Rocket - Sport tankbag
Tour Master - TB18 18L bag.

So, anyone have any experience with the listed bags or bags from those companies? Anything else in this price range i should check out?

thanks!

Mike K.
'95 ZX6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:44 PM

problemaddict...

Just posted a very simiar question on the Honda forum and no response so far !

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a small size Chase-Harper bag (~$70). It's due to arrive Friday so I'll play with it over the weekend and let you know.

The main comments I've read are that although the magnetic versions are easy to use and have a cleaner look when not in use, they can slightly (very slightly) dull the paint finish. I've also heard that because the magnets are so powerful, you need to be careful fixing the bag to the tank each time.

With that in mind, I went for the harness version .

magia (must change this dumb-ass name!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 02:39 PM

I have the Chase Harper 750 with the Multi-Mount system. I have only used it with the magnets holding it on. No slipping whatsoever. 2 large areas, one having some internal straps to hold items snugly. One small external pocket to hold cell phone, keys, or other small items. It also comes with straps. Not that I think they would be needed for a steel tank, but some bikes have aluminum tanks. Could also be used on ATV's or dual purpose bikes with plastic tanks.

I have no problems or concerns with this bag. When I get home, I just grab it and take it in with me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 04:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to LytSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to LytSpeed
I bought the JOE ROCKET tank bag 2 weeks ago and I don't know how I got along without it! It has both straps and magnets, a map pocket on the top, an expandable compartment with a mesh pocket on the inside top. I carry my rainpants, chainlube, bungee net, dayplanner, wallet, checkbook, housekeys, and cellphone and its not expanded. Its got a nice handle on the end and I have been carrying it in lieu of my briefcase when not even riding my bike.

Well worth the 60 bones.

the ONE bad thing about cigarettes is that it doesn't kill the smokers fast enough.

Don't go ANYWHERE on your motorcycle that your brain hasn't been 5 seconds before...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:17 AM

problemaddict

Fitted the bag on Saturday, went biking all day Sunday and it's fantastic !

Got to agree with LytSpeed and say that I don't know how I got along with my tail bag before - things are so much easier to get to and the sized bag I got fits all my stuff (phone, water, digital-camera, etc, etc) without having to use the expanding zip.

Straps were easy to fit but make sure your tank is fairly low on gas (easier to lift up) and definitely use 2 individual straps on the front instead of the one looped strap.

Hope this helps
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

thanks for posting your results! I heard Chase Harpers stuff is lifetime warrantied, so i was thinking of going w/ them...

So, what size/model bag did you get?

Is it comfortable or helpful to lean on to ease some pressure in your arms?

thanks,

Mike

Mike K.
'95 ZX6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:30 PM

I can be so friggin' stupid sometimes ....!

problemaddict,

I actually bought a RoadGear Compact Sport Tank Bag which measures 9.5W x 13L x 3-5H and is about 7-10L in capacity.

Chase-Harper were in the running at one point which is why I probably said that I was buying one (muppet that I am ). I went for the RoadGear in the end because from what I can remember, Chase-Harper only made solid shell bags at that size - which wasn't what I was after.

Because of the size, it doesn't get in the way at all and I doubt I could really lean on it (maybe if it was fully expanded)

Sorry for the confusion !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 05:06 PM

Kneedraggers has the Teknik chicane bag for ~$30. It is kind of small, but good for a day trip. It's not really as heavy-duty as more expensive bags, but I don't really think a tank bag needs to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode