Sportbike, superbike, crotch rocket? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike, superbike, crotch rocket?

Just thought I would mention a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I am talking to someone of the general non riding public, and they want to know what kind of bike, they never seem to know what a "sportbike" is. Obviously the make and model are useless to them. So I usually have better luck when I then tell them it's a "crotch rocket". However, personally I am partial to "superbike". It just has a much better ring to it than the others and I would like to see it used much more commonly. Anyone else have similar problems, or other nicknames? - RP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:38 PM

Non sportbike riding public are all a bunch of haters....i use sportbike, whether they like it or not.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:38 PM

Bleah.

I too hate it when anyone calls it anything but a sportbike or superbike, cafe racer is fine as well. My friends wife in paticular annoys me when she calls it a "rocket bike".

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:38 PM

I too don't like anything but sportbike.When they ask I tell them " It's a sportbike". Then they ask what kind, even when I know they will have no idea what I'm saying, I will go with the croch-rocket reply just to end it. And I love talking bikes, just not to the ones who think they know, but have NO IDEA.

Chad
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:02 PM

You forgot to mention the worst of them all "Oh you rode one of those Ninja's"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 05:28 AM

The Harley crowd coined the name 'Crotch Rocket' to denote any type of sportbike. The idea here is to highlight that a sportbike offers ‘performance’ only. This is an attempt to deny any other value or positive quality to a sportbike. The intended assumption here is that a sportbike offers ‘only’ fast acceleration and nothing else. Unfortunately, it is only speed and acceleration that presents any meaningful numbers. It’s a little more difficult to list on paper the other differences between a sportbike and a Harley or cruiser. Again the assumption is that if you want a ‘real’ motorcycle with ‘real’ power, comfort, real world usability, than a Harley Davidson is the only way to go.

Most of us don't realize how effective the brain washing from Harley Davidson really is. Much of it is extremely subtle and appears harmless, but when taken in full measure, it becomes overwhelming. I was in Kroger’s (grocery store) a little while ago and noticed that at least half the customers had Harley T-shirts or some kind of Harley clothing. Even an old lady in an electric handicap cart was wearing a Sturgis T-shirt. While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveL
While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.
Hell it's been working too. How else can you explain peoples' willingness to spend 20k on a POS and get treated like a shitbird at the dealerships?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 05:13 AM

Crotch Rocket

I hate the idea that I spent 10K on a devise just to transport my crotch from one place to another really fast.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveL
While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.

Originally posted by kvpZX9R

Hell it's been working too. How else can you explain peoples' willingness to spend 20k on a POS and get treated like a shitbird at the dealerships?
Many forget HD's lobbying ability too, during the 80's when they were in serious financial trouble they went to washington saying japan was trying to put them out of business by flooding the market with cheap motorcycles,

What resulted was a signifigant increase in price for models over 700cc, and another reason for me to not want an HD, other than there crappy bikes that suck.

Last edited by Lt.Gustl; 10-03-2002 at 06:01 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:30 AM

"Bullet Bike"

I have always liked the term "Bullet bike" (or would it be one word, bulletbike?, like superbike is one word.) when referring to a sportbike. I also like to use the term Superbike as well. I never use the term "Crotch Rocket", I hate it.

Another term I don't care for is one I have heard doctors and nurses jokingly use, "Donor Cycles".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode