You call this comfortable?!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

You call this comfortable?!?

Hey gang,

So, i got a ZX6e this past weekend on an impulse buy. It was on my list of 3 bikes i was considering. This one was #2 (SV650 was #1, 11XX #3). The price made me jump at it, $1998 for a 1995 bike w/ 30,000mi and overall really nice condition.
I REALLY like the bike. The power is incredible (i'm coming off riding a KZ440), as is the handling, and its nice and light(comparatively). My beef is with the comfort!

I thought this was supposed to be one of the most comfortable crotchrockets out there. After 5 min. on the bike my wrists were hurting, and then 5 min later my nuts were hurting. I've since learned to try to sit all the way up against the tank, squeeze w/ my knees and hold my back straight. This lets alot of the weight off my wrists/arms, but i get tired quickly in this position... (yeah, i'm a whiny bitch )

I feel i must be doing something wrong I'm thinking a handlebar conversion would put me in the ideal position, but that costs money

Anyway, any suggestions anyone might have for improving my confort on this thing?

thanks,
Mike K.
Hatfield, PA

Last edited by problemaddict; 09-11-2002 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 AM

Couple of comments. The wrist thing - this is probably you and not the bike. First, since you're new to this you're probably much more tense than you think or are aware. Concentrate on loosing your grip - picture holding a sponge and not squeezing the water out of it. Nice and easy. Secondly, keep your elbows bent as much as possible. This will take a lot of pressure off your wrists - do not lock your elbows at any time - this not only puts pressure on your wrists but makes sudden manuevers much more difficult.

As for riding position - if you're constantly cracking your nuts, back off the tank a little and loosen the death grip of your legs. As you smooth out your acceleration, shifting and acceleration, you'll be much quieter in the seat and won't be slapping against the tank.

Don't give up on the bike yet - spend some time on it and RELAX. Your tension translates directly to the bikes handling. The smoother you are the easier and more comfortable it will be to ride.

Good luck.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
Couple of comments. The wrist thing - this is probably you and not the bike. First, since you're new to this you're probably much more tense than you think or are aware. Concentrate on loosing your grip - picture holding a sponge and not squeezing the water out of it. Nice and easy. Secondly, keep your elbows bent as much as possible. This will take a lot of pressure off your wrists - do not lock your elbows at any time - this not only puts pressure on your wrists but makes sudden manuevers much more difficult.

As for riding position - if you're constantly cracking your nuts, back off the tank a little and loosen the death grip of your legs. As you smooth out your acceleration, shifting and acceleration, you'll be much quieter in the seat and won't be slapping against the tank.

Don't give up on the bike yet - spend some time on it and RELAX. Your tension translates directly to the bikes handling. The smoother you are the easier and more comfortable it will be to ride.

Good luck.
ditto the above. i just want to add that when i got my f2, i came off a kz750. each bike is similar in seating position to yours. my wrist hurt bad. as i loosened up, the bike became quite comfortable. you should be able to easily move your arms while riding it.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 11:57 AM

i got my 02 f4i two weeks ago and my hands and wrists ached a bit. i started out putting 100miles on my bike a day for the first week to break myself in. after my 600 mile service things were really sore when i rode again but have since gotten better. it will just take some time riding to get the right feel of the bike. i had to ride up on the tank for a while to ease the strain but now i like to sit as far back as i can (for my butt's sake). just stick with it and i'm sure you'll "break yourself in".

chris
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:12 PM
jrm

helped me to...

work on the pushups, pull-ups and situps. My KZ400 (good riddance..) was way more upright than any sport bike I've ridden, so I am guessing you ARE leaning over more than you have been. Give it some time like everyone is saying and prepare yourself for that posture.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:00 PM

Bonker is correct, but the BikerChris is additional proof.
I ran across this lean forward riding position in '49 when we begin to Road Race. Liked it due to some old injuries in my back from flat tracking & dirt hill climbing days. Started to modify my street irons the same & those of friends that asked. Obviously we were into building Cafe Racers & next to come was the sporbikes. In actual fact I have probably ridden in this position for 53 constant years. Proof that one can injoy it.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:59 AM

Problemaddict,

Good advice from all, but I would still recommend Heli-bars or something to correct the too far forward lean. You didnít mention your height so thereís no way to determine what the problem really is. I have 96 ZX-11 with almost 120,000 miles, and I can't imagine a more comfortable ride.
One correction on Gonk's recommendations, when he says to "Concentrate on loosing your grip", I think he means, "loosening your grip". Loosing your grip is definitely not a good idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

thanks guys!
So far, its lookin' like you are all right on track. Its been 1 week and 300+ miles on the bike, and i'm definately more comfortable and able to maintain the riding position for longer. My wrists aren't hurting much at all anymore. So far, what's working for me, is constantly changing my position slightly, using either my legs, lower back, or resting my one arm on the tank to keep my weight off my wrists. Its getting more natural and i expect to be pretty comfortable in a few weeks if the improvements continue.

I'm 5'8" for those who asked, and jrm, i hit the gym 3 times a week, thank-you-very-much

thanks again everyone!

Mike

Mike K.
'95 ZX6
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:11 PM

Rocket Pillow

You might want to consider a tank bag called the rocket pillow. It is designed to support the riders upper body weght. For long rides it is a must. Check it out at www.rocketpillow.com.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:26 AM

You didn't mention if you have one or not but if you don't try putting a Corbin seat on your bike! The stock seats are soft and do not hold their shape during a long ride. The Corbin seat is hard and it holds its shape (thus-making it more comfortable).

Just something to ponder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode